PC Build 650$ budget (First Time)

Hey guys, i need help building a lasting pc that would be good for gaming, i already a GTX GEFORCE 660 graphics card, two PCs to cannibalise (Dell dimension 9200) and another dell. I have a few CPUs to choose from, and am open to all suggestions and help. I am fine with experimenting, and am willing to go a little over budget. What i need help with is what kinda case, what kind of RAM, what kind of motherboard, and if i can avoid overclocking. that be great

Oh no, you have nothing to cannibalize from that machine. It's incredibly old DDR2 thing...
660GTX is weak... Really really weak...

Sell this, get yourself the cheapest i5 you can find, get yourself some cheap ram, cause it doesn't matter, some cheap H chipset motherboard and go for R9 380...
If you ask me, you can even go with something like i5 4460 and some cheap DDR3 1600 ram...
You may use the 660 for now and jump into the 1151 processors, or find something really cheap from the last gen DDR3 stuff and get 98% same performance for less cash...

1 Like

Do you really want to buy a new PC now? Polaris and Zen will be released in Q3 - this means that the price for existing CPUs and GPUs will drop and that there will be better mid-class components available.

1 Like

Ill have to think about it, but thanks for the heads
up

I have seen some socket 775cpus from 1 dollar to 20 bucks
You can see which cpu's the MB will handle wheather a core 2 duo e8400 or core 2 quad Q6600 for a for a 50 to 100 pecent jump in cpu performance if you want to wait for Zen.
Also you can buy a killer GPU and later upgrade to Zen. A bottlenecked GPU means it will last longer.
The cases available for 30 bucks are beyond belief. Chinese slave labor has really evolved:) kidding
As a HUGE AMD fanboy I can say the i3 and i5 skylake cpu's are amazing.
You can build an great 400 dollar gaming build with the Haswell cpu+mb combos being discounted.
Just some options that may help you to decide

Holy shit 650? Ok you're set in mind pretty well. How long do you think you could wait? The new AMD cpus are coming out in a few months and supposedly they are faster than Broadwell-E. You could do a pretty kick ass build woth those.

Should be good to go

but ya if you can just live with that 660 for a while that would work as well given how close new stuff is to coming out, Probably would just stick to an AMD card though as you're going to save a good deal of cash on a free-sync display over a G-sync one down the line. Also have to see if pascal gets any gains from DX12.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xstqYJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xstqYJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case ($40.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $636.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-10 21:26 EDT-0400