Return to Level1Techs.com

Paw's big list of Music for the Living Dead

mega_thread

Once upon a time I had many large lists of music here on this site.

I think I may… summon another.

Lets start with my new squeeze. Before this group I could have not really said that I had anything to point to and say “this, this it it, a pinnacle of self representation through the disaffected words of some entity that does not even know you.”

DEATH IS THE MESSAGE
How is it ever the message. Health bleeds LA anomie harder than SKOLD and that’s hard to fucking do. Industrial inspired hard lined pop beats lay an addictively catchy backstage for lyrics that aggressively underline the spirit of the nihilist’s zeitgeist. Every crunchy beat marches like machinery towards an ideological black hole on double time.

But it’s not all about doom. In fact hardly any of it is. HEALTH neatly plays both sides of the coin to express the cathartic side of letting go, at times using disoriented yet whimsical sounds to convey the feeling of just not knowing the answers.

And when you listen to enough of it… another plot arc appears backstage. Something about the unknown, unanswered questions. Questions about all those curios times life just seems too funny, too ironic to be real. Recursively time folded permutations of life that come close to reveling some insight to living in the Demiurge’s world.

MORE HEALTH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AFhE8_tyuw
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
A banger that brings in Perturbator to leverage a song that is equal parts industrial and synthwave.

Sleep Party People brings us a number that feels as disaffected as it does dissociated. Slow beats carry us out to a sea of forgotten dreams as muted lyrics tell of time when it didn’t matter. Also, fucking bunny masks mang.

SHINE RAZOR EYES
More like shine razor… song. What? I’m not always articulate. The song feels sharp ok. IAMX uses a building and off key(? is it actually off, or just strange, sort of like demented circus music?) rhythm atop softer background sounds and then a crunchy beat to well up suspense and anxiety in the listener to craft a song that cuts with accuracy.

And lets talk about his singing for a moment. IAMX uses a very clearly spoken, unrushed, measured way of singing. Yet, it has a way in context of feeling… violent. There is no catharsis here, only anger, imposed by self restraint. He also likes to use a heavy layer of reverb and echo on his lyrics to give them a very dissociated or spacey feeling, like every word comes up and then sinks into the water.

I NEED HELP, I’VE SEEN BAD THINGS AND I CANNOT MAKE THEM DISAPPEAR
IAMX uses a very pronounced beat here (all the boot’s and cats) to drive a manic walk down losing ones sense of self.
I AM REAL, I AM GOOD

Update #1:

BAD APPLE!! || METAL COVER by RichaadEB ft. Cristina Vee

Ever on and on I continue circling
With nothing but my hate in a carousel of agony
Till slowly I forget and my heart starts vanishing
And suddenly I see that I can’t break free, I’m
Slipping through the cracks of a dark eternity
With nothing but my pain and the paralyzing agony
To tell me who I am, who I was
Uncertainty enveloping my mind
Till I can’t break free, and

Maybe it’s a dream; maybe nothing else is real
But it wouldn’t mean a thing if I told you how I feel
So I’m tired of all the pain, of the misery inside
And I wish that I could live feeling nothing but the night
You can tell me what to say; you can tell me where to go
But I doubt that I would care, and my heart would never know
If I make another move there’ll be no more turning back
Because everything will change, and it all will fade to black

Will tomorrow ever come? Will I make it through the night?
Will there ever be a place for the broken in the light?
Am I hurting? Am I sad? Should I stay, or should I go?
I’ve forgotten how to tell. Did I ever even know?
Can I take another step? I’ve done everything I can
All the people that I see I will never understand
If I find a way to change, if I step into the light
Then I’ll never be the same, and it all will fade to white

Ever on and on I continue circling
With nothing but my hate in a carousel of agony
Till slowly I forget and my heart starts vanishing
And suddenly I see that I can’t break free–I’m
Slipping through the cracks of a dark eternity
With nothing but my pain and the paralyzing agony
To tell me who I am, who I was
Uncertainty enveloping my mind
Till I can’t break free, and

Maybe it’s a dream; maybe nothing else is real
But it wouldn’t mean a thing if I told you how I feel
So I’m tired of all the pain, of the misery inside
And I wish that I could live feeling nothing but the night
You can tell me what to say; you can tell me where to go
But I doubt that I would care, and my heart would never know
If I make another move there’ll be no more turning back
Because everything will change, and it all will fade to black

If I make another move, if I take another step
Then it all would fall apart. There’d be nothing of me left
If I’m crying in the wind, if I’m crying in the night
Will there ever be a way? Will my heart return to white?
Can you tell me who you are? Can you tell me where I am?
I’ve forgotten how to see; I’ve forgotten if I can
If I opened up my eyes there’d be no more going back
'Cause I’d throw it all away, and it all would fade to black

And nooowwww, for something completely different. RichaadEB takes this number right into the math metal territory, with curt, syncopated riffs slicing up the song with Christina’a searing vocals piercing a trail of disturbance through it. Dramatic is what it is, and it’s very good at being such.

The Birthday Massacre - Last Daze (Funland Mix)

Take me away from this
Give me another dose
I don’t know who to hit
But I sure know where to go
Your hero’s worn and thin
No chance for us to win
We’ve all been fooled into a false identity

Come waste away now your last days
Sign away your life today
[x2]

I don’t need anyone
To show me what we’ve done
Eyes open, mind is clear
And I can smell your fear
Abort, retry or fail
I just can’t get my fill
Nothing left here but my descent

[x2]

Run, move along now
Our last days are already here
Come sing along now
Our song of everlasting fear
No auto shut off
No emergency brake
Time now to make my
Last mistake

[x2]

It’s about the devil ok.

Update #2

What I don’t know I don’t like. What I don’t like I don’t want. What I don’t want I waste.

KMFDM has the consistent ability of singing the opposite words of whatever point they are trying to make. They do it on purpose. I love it. This song has a sound to induce a ‘quickening’ like feeling. Fast paced beats underlined by a sound effect that at least to me makes one think of a clock ticking down. This seems to be be on purpose, “Ready steady go” “The tick-tick-ticking of the clock”. Lyrics and sound combine into a fast spiral getting faster.

Memories flicker a voice and a face. Alternate life with no time and no space. A club hit about a club hit that never ends. Simple, dance-able club bass behind lyrics about crossing thresholds we can’t go back from.

WHERE DOES IT END, WHEN THERE IS NO END
Have you ever wondered what happens when you die but don’t really die? Combichrist brings us a hard pure aggrotech number expressing the angst of these questions, despite being in the middle of what is otherwise a metal album. The kick is crunchy and distorted (actually, it curiously reminds me of the kick from Devil’s Dalliance by Noisia, which you might remember was the other artist headlineing the soundtrack for DmC: Devil May Cry along with Combichrist, back when Combichrist was first getting into playing metal of the likes on this album. Interesting coincidence.) with good body and follow through. We also have your token heavy slams here and there and a section with a screaming instrumental chorus.

Ehhhh, incomplete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_BmZMr1Iws
https://genius.com/Mindless-self-indulgence-personal-jesus-lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBC7dA0vq4A
https://genius.com/Aesthetic-perfection-love-like-lies-annotated
NO LOVE, JUST LIES Aesthetic, motherfucking, Perfection

Speaking about music with a story… how about something completely different. mind.in.a.box once featured in my ‘Best of Futurepop’ list. This time I wish to take a different angle with it. mind.in.a.box has four main albums, and when listed to in order, they actually tell a story. The story is solidly cyberpunk, full of secrets and questions.

1 Like

I hope this isn’t out of place here but Industrial Dark Ambient…

0 Likes

Well, such doesn’t really fit with the list I’m compiling, in such that I’m putting a heavy emphasis on things and their lyrical qualities.

0 Likes

Added another update with some new songs.

0 Likes

I may have to check this out.

1 Like

Welcome, Sire lesser, to the community

0 Likes

I’m not sure which kind of welcome to give :wink:

0 Likes

0 Likes