Patch NPT on Ryzen for Better Performance | Level One Techs

You can use the same GPU but that will leave your Linux machine headless, the only way to use the host Linux machine would be via ssh or some other remote control tool.

It’s best to install a 2nd video card for Linux (I used an older card from my last upgrade) and pass through your high end card to linux for gaming or whatever.

1 Like

Does anyone have any inkling as to if/when this patch might become part of the mainline kernel? I was just reading the list of changes in 4.15 and got momentarily excited when I saw “changes to Xen and KVM”, but it’s nothing to do with NPT. The Ryzen temperature monitoring fix for k10temp has been added though, which makes me very happy. Lack of working lm_sensors has been annoying.

Is there an easy way to upgrade Fedora? I booted in to linux for the first time in months. I upgraded to 27 but it doesn’t seem to be running 4.14 (I think the patch is included in 4.14). Standard Linux, the guides are always built for a distro you aren’t running

Unless Fedora themselves have included it, it isn’t. It wont be in 4.15 either, we have to wait for 4.16.

I am new in linux, and I could not patch the kernel, can someone please make a dummier tutorial of how to do it in Fedora 27

See: [GUIDE] Package ryzen npt/acs patches into Fedora kernel package

2 Likes

I ended up with a huge file system after follow the tutorial, what can i delete after finish

Yes, once you have the RPM you can remove all the sources and build tree.

I do not know how to do that.

rm -rf ~/rpmbuild/{SOURCES,BUILD,BUILROOT}/*
Should do. I should probably put it at the end of the guide.
You can also do
rm -rf ~/rpmbuild/*RPMS/*
To get rid of the built RPMs and the source RPMs if you are SURE you don’t need them.

1 Like

I have started a GoFundMe campaign to try to raise the funding required to purchase a TR system that can be used to dig into the PCI power state issues. If people are interested in contributing to this please see below:

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, what type of case do you need?

Anything that holds a big hot threadripper motherboard with it’s toasty vrms and oversized socket :smiley:

posted in the 4.15 kernel thread, posting here for good measure. looks like the patch was accepted 30ish hours ago.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/diff/arch/x86/kvm/svm.c?id=7753ea09640807104c8e353f6d5dc47ee55307cf

5 Likes

This is awesome news, thanks for posting it

For anyone that is using FX cpu’s, the npt patch also gives noticeable performance improvements.

3 Likes

If you didn’t see it in the other thread, I posted a video demonstrating the current state of the headless project.

4 Likes

hoooly shit thats amazing. the seamlessness of the mouse cursor is great, my question is will it lock the mouse in during gameplay for fullscreen and+or borderless games in windows, and can you tab out as in native mode.

this is incredible man, great job!!

1 Like

Can/will this work with multi-monitor setups like Eyefinity and whatever nvidia calls it?

1 Like

It can, but in it’s initial version it wont.

2 Likes