Patch NPT on Ryzen for Better Performance | Level One Techs

In the video, Wendel talks about a patch that power cycles the PCI device for Linux 4.15. Does anyone have the link to the patch/discussion thread (or mailing list)?

There is some work on this entering the kernel, specifically for the Vega, but AFAIK it doesn’t fix the problem still. I have been informed that the new AGESA may have fixed this problem.

1 Like

Just so I understand, the future AGESA update for Threadripper might fix the reset bug, but the other bug affecting the Nvidia GPU and the rx580 isn’t fixed, right?

TR fix, correct. I am not sure which NVidia GPU problem you are referring to, it works fine for me without any special fixes except for the NPT patch, but thats specific to the AMD CPU, not NVidia.

1 Like

I am referring to this.

TLDR:
There is another bug where a threadripper system would not be able to passthrough a Nvidia GPU or an RX 580 (basically any GPU that does not have the reset bug). For some reason, Vega works fine (besides the usual reset bug).

It’s this issue Threadripper & PCIe Bus Errors

1 Like

Was watching the stream recording and noticed some artifacts on the 2nd camera. Flaky Blackmagic card? Or was the camera gain too high?

Glad to know the patch also works on threadripper, but unfortunately my gigabyte designare ex X399 mb died last weekend and now I need to wait for few days for the fix.

I think AMD doesn’t do a good job on the open source supporting which they should as the Ryzen family shows a lot of potential for high end use comparing just gaming

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I have a small question on KVM and passthrough. I have a Ryzen 5, and a single GPU. WIll I be able to set up a windows VM for gaming, or would I need a second GPU to run the host? When I want to game on linux, would I use the host, or set up an additional linux VM, and pass the GPU through to it?

Thanks in advance

You can use the same GPU but that will leave your Linux machine headless, the only way to use the host Linux machine would be via ssh or some other remote control tool.

It’s best to install a 2nd video card for Linux (I used an older card from my last upgrade) and pass through your high end card to linux for gaming or whatever.

1 Like

Does anyone have any inkling as to if/when this patch might become part of the mainline kernel? I was just reading the list of changes in 4.15 and got momentarily excited when I saw “changes to Xen and KVM”, but it’s nothing to do with NPT. The Ryzen temperature monitoring fix for k10temp has been added though, which makes me very happy. Lack of working lm_sensors has been annoying.

Is there an easy way to upgrade Fedora? I booted in to linux for the first time in months. I upgraded to 27 but it doesn’t seem to be running 4.14 (I think the patch is included in 4.14). Standard Linux, the guides are always built for a distro you aren’t running

Unless Fedora themselves have included it, it isn’t. It wont be in 4.15 either, we have to wait for 4.16.

I am new in linux, and I could not patch the kernel, can someone please make a dummier tutorial of how to do it in Fedora 27

See: [GUIDE] Package ryzen npt/acs patches into Fedora kernel package

2 Likes

I ended up with a huge file system after follow the tutorial, what can i delete after finish

Yes, once you have the RPM you can remove all the sources and build tree.

I do not know how to do that.

rm -rf ~/rpmbuild/{SOURCES,BUILD,BUILROOT}/*
Should do. I should probably put it at the end of the guide.
You can also do
rm -rf ~/rpmbuild/*RPMS/*
To get rid of the built RPMs and the source RPMs if you are SURE you don’t need them.

1 Like

I have started a GoFundMe campaign to try to raise the funding required to purchase a TR system that can be used to dig into the PCI power state issues. If people are interested in contributing to this please see below:

3 Likes