Passthrough setup with a weak Nvidia card as output, and a stronger one for rendering (Multi-Monitors & G-Sync)

Hello there,

I’m currently waiting for the new AMD Ryzen 3000 Series, so that I can finally hop onto the passthrough train instead of dual booting.

So far so good, but my monitor setup makes things a bit more complicated than I’d like: My current setup consists of three monitors, one of which is equipped with G-Sync. Since that bloody thing cost me a lot of money, I’d still like to use G-Sync in the future, which forces me to use a nvidia card as a video output.

From what I read so far is that with looking glass I could also pass through e.g. an AMD GPU to the VM, and still use G-Sync with it, because an nvidia GPU outputs it. Awesome!

That means I can use a strong card (in my case my GTX 970 for now) for my windows gaming and video editing needs, and do my “boring” stuff on a cheap and power-efficient card like e.g. a GTX 750.

So no problem with the Windows VM in this regard.

Now as far as I am concerned, this setup forces my native linux apps and games to run on the slower card of the two, which is kind of a bummer. I already tried to find solutions on my own for that, and the closest thing would be to offload the rendering to the other GPU via PRIME. As it seems render offloading is not yet supported by the nvidia proprietary drivers, but all the threads I find are about Optimus, which doesn’t really fit my situation.

The easiest “solution” would be to transfer all my more demanding workloads into the VM or of course to replug all my monitors into the other GPU and restart my X Session (and lose all of my opened windows), but both ways seem like rather half-baked solutions.

I would be really happy if someone could help me to find a solution to this problem/annoyance.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

timm0e