Passive GPU options?

Well that settles it, Noctua NH-P1 is probably what I should get for the CPUs

Currently, the fans on my Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil are at 0 rpm. Yes, ZERO RPM. Where they stay until some point AMD has decided to hard code into the driver where the fans start. And even then, they are very quiet until the load gets very serious. I am positive this has something to do with the 3x140mm fans that Fractal has put in the bottom of my full size Torrent case blowing up directly on the GPU, and assisted by the 2x180MM fans in the front. The case fans are all essentially silent until the CPU starts getting under load as well. Web browsing does not meet that criteria. When these fans wear out or break or become noise, I will replace them with Noctua fans which come with an adapter that will make them even more silent by slowing them down.

If you want a fully passive computer, that’s fine and it can certainly be done. It will either be a low power computer, or a Beast in the case of MonsterLabo or Streacom, which I just remembered also has a fully passive case that can accomodate more high end parts.

Here is the case from Streacom: SG10 – Fanless Gaming PC Case – Streacom

I have a Monsterlabo case and it does indeed cool a pretty powerful AMD system. Currently it has an Nvidia 4080 and runs CUDA workloads, passively on Ubuntu. That case is not cheap though.

Use that info to decide how passive you want to get versus money you want to spend versus performance you desire.

Fans at 0 rpm as reported by AMDGPU_TOP

1 Like