Passing through an RX480, any success yet?

Hey VFIO people,

just build my Ryzen rig, which I finally want to use as a Linux-box, but i don't get the passed through GPU for my gaming VM to work, Windows crashes shortly after it reaches the GUI.
Its a RX480 in Gigabyte G1 Gaming flavor on an Asus PRIME-X370-PRO board.

Do you have some advice how to get a Polaris card working with KVM?

I am using Fedora 25, kernel 4.11-rc3 built with default config and Wendells ACS-patch applied.
VFIO gets the card handed over by PCI-stub, which is the configuration Wendell seems to use in the Ryzen IOMMU video. I tried both virtmanager and qemu directly with i440fx and Q35. I am emulating the IOH3420.

Thanks in advance!
T.

Some additional observations: I got it to boot successfully twice, with DirectX working, both times with the Q35 chipset and OVMF, interestingly the second time without the audio part passed through and the multifunction flag missing for the GPU. First time was with libvirt, second time with qemu only. Both VMs started bootlooping again after the first reboot. Windows would not crash immediately, but the GUI would stop responding with the cursor still moving for a moment until it resets.

1 Like

Hey,
I've tried to pass rx 460 but it simply doesn't want to go further from uefi, it's fine until it loads gpu drivers (when win logo should appear) then it goes black:no output anymore but guest runs in background :&
on archlinux it works flawlessly, tested with fresh install, as well as using my current disk from arch.

I watch every post of this. Im commited to a 1700 but MB and ram are fluid and really important for shit to work.

1 Like

maybe I'm totally wrong but: if there is a fix to this, would it be possible to make it work for a couple of distros?

I mean, GPU pass through is one of the most asked questions and to dev a fix would be really nice. maybe even build that into the L1T-Kernel?

I guess, a fix wouldn't be distro specific. Is there any information about wether it's a Linux problem or a bug in the windows driver? Or possibly even video bios? Kernel and driver development is kind of black magic for me, if someone would commit something to the lv1 kernel , this would be awesome! Asus released a new uefi update for my board, I will flash it on the weekend and see what happens.

same here. but i really wish i could learn how to work the kernel FOR THAT EXACT THING! damn i dont wanna wait for kernel 4.11/4.12...

Wait, are you saying it is working on arch but not fedora??

1 Like

Yes.

heaven benchmark stable (e.g. heaven runs for several hours?) and you are using amdgpu on the host? and amd drivers in the guest VM?

And arch is 4.10.something I take it?

1 Like

It's stable as native win10 install (maybe even more stable :D), I've tested heaven for ~1h, gta5 ~3h, darksouls3 ~1h, league of legends ~50 matches till now, doom ~4h... everthing works perfectly except my cpu is struggling to keep up the frames high since it's pretty old one (a8-5600k). I'm using radeon drivers for my host cuz 7560D integrated in apu. I started on kernel 4.6 i guess or something (at start of january) and kernel updates improved performance a bit but scheduler still sux so I have to change it to ondemand + change trashhold so cpu wont go low clocks when i play less intensive games like World of Warcraft. In guest vm am using latest relive drivers without capturing software cuz it's buggy af :D

OH. I thought you were on ryzen! Are you saying with my ACS patch on fedora it doesn't work? Or even without my acs patch it doesn't work? Do your iommu groups otherwise work/look good with the A8-5600k?

I had been using fedora w/o ACS on x99 (no problems) and my ACS patch works perfectly with e.g. 10 gigabit ethernet card. And mostly okay with nvidia + amd graphics. but not amd+amd

1 Like

Without acs patch, it's strange that i get uefi loaded normally and i can install windows but when i install drivers, it just turns off guest screen (and vm is still running normally) but no display output :S

tested with windows update drivers (crimison or however they call it)
also with relive same thing happens
tho I like wayland on fedora cuz vsync but cba trying to switch my xorg on arch to wayland cuz it will break 100% and then till i fix it back to xorg ill loose 2-3 days :S and screentearing makes me suffocate especially on my 2nd monitor since when am not running guest os i use both monitors on arch.

1 Like

thats kinda like what happens on ryzen except both gpus die. that may be because in my case both gpus are external.. and yours is internal

1 Like

Wont test on the 0515 UEFI for now, because since the update i have even more issues. The SATA SSD isn't detected in the UEFI (but works fine on Fedora, unfortunatly my gaming Windows install is on that SSD) and the 560Ti which I use as the host GPU is initialized in PCIe x2 mode for some reason...

Hopefully they will release a fixed UEFI soon, wish they would also pay some attention to the IOMMU.