Part2: Buying Used Computers -- Auctions, Surplus and Recycling Centers | Level One Techs

Anyone have any experience doing this in West Virginia or the South/East Ohio area? If so where?

:)

Can't we just go AM1 for simplicity?

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fchQf8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fchQf8/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock AM1B-M Micro ATX AM1 Motherboard ($26.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($37.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 470 4GB HS Triple X Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $356.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-25 23:57 EST-0500

My workplace is selling off these working computers -

1) HP Compaq 6200 Small Form Factor (Specs: Intel i3-2120 3.30GHz CPU; 12GB RAM; 500GB hard drives; DVD drive; Windows 10) for $50
2) HP Compaq 8100 Tower (Specs: i7 CPU-860 2.80GHz CPU, 12GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, DVD drive) for $100.

Can I make a cheap gaming computer from any of these?

P.S. They may throw in an old 19 inch monitor if I say please.

Can anyone help me find some places around College Station TX. I cant seem to find A&M surplus either.

The best deal i've got was from an auction.

It is a APC smart-ups 2200 with a network interface card that costs 200 eur alone.. (first retail price)
The whole package i had for 25 eur! seems the ups was 1500 New!
And even the original apc battery's where still good for another year.

There is nothing wrong with it, fresh battery's and using it for 3 years now.

Despite having fairly good contacts into a view IT departments in big to bigger private companies and also some government agencies I have a big problem, to abide the compliance standards requested by the government or their own risk management they all sell of their old stuff (including racks themselves) as a whole to recyclers which than have to document the destruction! - as pulling out the hard drives and other means of storage - in the end, and I saw that with almost tears, they shredder the whole machines.

So e.g. a 4 yo dell poweredge ends up on a conveyor belt on a truck, into a shredder and than into a huge dumpster bin on site :.( and in the end a view pages are printed that certify the destruction by serial number for each machine; no chance to get a hold because the administrative overhead to give even one machine away is to high and thus no chance

Does anybody know of any places like this in Oregon? Anywhere in oregon is accessible for me.

But early TFT monitors weren't good for gaming. They had high response times. Or you didn't use it for gaming.

That's strange. Why would a small form factor PC with a core i3 have 12 GB of RAM ?

I don't have a clue tbh.

I think it had a 5ms response time. I don't know how early this model was. They were just very rare in my neck of the woods because they were a lot more expensive than CRT's.

where the hell have you found an auction in the € zone? I'm from GER and haven't found shit

I discovered this a while ago actually.

For about $100 for the system + $60 (SSD) + new Adapter + new battery it comes to about $200 for a business class laptop on ebay (2ng gen i5). I always thought it was a great price for a sturdy system when compared to fragile and expensive ultrabooks but the recycling center idea might bring that down further to about $100-125 + gas + time.

Yeah, we charge between $120 and $160 for second or third gen i5 laptops. After the customer buys a hard drive or SSD it's at or over $200 for a 4 or 5 year old laptop.

So definitely shop around before choosing something on ebay.

It was an online auction. Belgian auction website

You can just google online auctions, not hard to find.

The HP Compaq 8100 should do great for gaming if you can find a low wattage GPU that will fit inside its presumably small enclosure. If you want to really game and have an okay workstation later on, you can get an SSD, a more powerful small form factor GPU and a higher end power supply. You should be okay on that thing for a while, there are benchmarks of people playing Witcher 3 with that CPU having no problems.

many recycling places have a storefront. introduce yourself. lot of those people enjoy talking to people who know wth they're talking about (but don't show them up : )

The HP Compaq 8100 has a regular sized case. I think it could handle a full size GPU. I found a video yesterday where the guy used an adapter cable to connect a regular power supply to HP's proprietary motherboard power connectors. Video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VCslFs6lW0

A new 500W-600W power supply and a GTX 1060 would be just awesome if the CPU can handle that GPU.

yeah i googled that. pc surplus auctions pc auctions all that jazz. not even close to those goldmines like in the video

Just watched the video, I love this sort of thing so I found it very interesting and informative. I have previously looked in my local area (South Wales UK) but from what I found nothing comes close to what you guys have over there. There is a recycling centre near me but to get in there to have a look around would be difficult and from what I gather it is literally just a small metal shed.

I did do a Google search but a quick look didn't show up anything near me, I will keep checking though. I never thought to take a Linux USB drive.

Like I said a very interesting video.