Parler user data stolen and distributed in aftermath of shutdown

Sorry to link a rando Twitter, but I haven’t seen this on any publication yet.

1 Like

if so thats a dangerous claim to make…

expect archive team to be the next target of pull down as well…

Which claim? That they data dumped the site via the API?

M.T. Bade @MTBade

Archive Team are proof that librarians are the most dangerous people in the world.

1 Like

Oh that’s just some moronic reply. I meant the main tweet about how the data was exfiltrated without any real breach necessary.

1 Like

it happens all the time just look at S3 buckets ETC…
the fact that it was the API which did work well a little to well is better than no password or default password for things that are supposed to be secure…

TBH i view it as a well built robust code base for the API. that was not designed to be security conscious as it was possible how they managed to make backups internally. and we have the end result that anyone who used it for scraping was just copying the backup method.

2 Likes

Sure… The only reason I’m posting it is because the first articles I read (OP for instance) indicated that Parler was “hacked”. Admin accounts were compromised and/or fabricated, etc…

This indicates that the public API was enumerating everything including deleted posts, private messages and metadata, and all of that was downloaded without any “breach” necessary.

Idk, maybe there were multiple things happening at the same time. I did see quite a lot about people gaining admin on the site, and maybe they did but it wasn’t necessary?

3 Likes

Seems that was the case

Careful. The tinfoil industry has some pretty intense lobbyists. You don’t want to get on their bad side by implying that it’s anything other than a delightfully convenient way to keep pans clean. :wink:

1 Like

Frowns on your shenanigans:

kitteh-and-man-in-tinfoil-hats

2 Likes