Paper Books Vs E-Books

I'm 22.

I have way more digital books. Probably 2,500. I own probably 500-600 paper books.

Paper shouldn't die out, but it should take the role that vinyl records do to young people. You purchase the physical version (vinyl, paper, etc.) of a piece of art you really want to OWN. Pieces of literature or music that are special to you and you want to be able to experience in a more special way. As a result, the price is going to go up because production runs will be much smaller, but that's okay. I think that the price of e-books will normalize to ~$10 or so, but the volume of consumption will rise much like it has with digital music.

I'm 30, shoulda found this tread when I was 29, dang. Most of the stuff I enjoy reading is over 100 years old... it'd just be weird to read LOTR electronically (not 100 years old, I know). But for some reason reading Sci Fi, like Ender's Game is fine for me in e format,but I used to be a bit of a theologian so dusty libraries are romantic to me. I just think of Captain Kirk reading a paper book in 300 years after looking at tablets all day and it feels like the better way to unwind. If I was gonna read a lot of eBooks I'd have to get ePaper I guess, I stare at screens all day as it is. My wife is like 'quit getting magazines in the mail, get them electronically.' I also require a wood fireplace to read... I haven't read much lately.

1 Like