PACT 2.0 - Your CPU, Your Processes, Your Control

Preface:

Hello everyone,

Last year, I left the hospital in the Christmas morning, walked home and wrote the original PACT.
Not many people used it and it wasn’t very easy to use.

This year, for Devember, I decided to take a few days off to rewrite the project and make it more usable.

It was originally meant to be a multi-platform Console Application, and while I am still working on it’s terminal/console based successor PACT Universal, the Windows GUI version of PACT is ready for testing.

Once PACT Universal is also ready, I am planning on selling PACT WPF and PACT Universal on Steam for ~5 EUR.

All version of PACT will remain free and Open-Source and PACT Core, the underlying library for both PACT WPF (Windows GUI version) and PACT Universal, is and will be remain available under the MIT License.

PACT Universal and WPF can be built from source and used freely.

I am still figuring out this licensing stuff, and I could use your help if anyone wants to help.

What is PACT?

PACT stands for Process Affinity Control Tool.
It’s a tool that allows you to section off different processes in to different cores/threads on your CPU automagically.

It’s default mode of operation allows you to pick your “Default Cores” and process priority.
All accessible processes run on those cores and on that priority setting.

You can also set your “High Performance Cores” and priority, you can then mark certain processes as High Performance and have them run on those cores with that priority.

For special occasions you can choose to tag some process as “Custom Performance” with custom CPU/Thread configuration and priority, exempt from the High Performance and Default configurations.

There is also a blacklist option, to ignore processes that don’t play with PACT too well.

The project can be found here:

I am still documenting things and will add screenshots and instructions as soon as I can.

I am open to feedback and criticism!

5 Likes