Overkill pc (looking for advice)

Morning peoples.

So as it stands I’ve been on linux on and off for a while and now i’m nearly a month into keeping it for good and now I’m actually looking into building a Overkill pc to do, well, everything.

I’m looking at building something compact, powerful and unique.

so ladies and gent’s I’m looking for your lovely self’s to pick holes in the build,point out flaws, change and point me the right way to get this build on the way.

the build it’s self -

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/rQsrRJ

Want to put it into this case -

I’ve not got a budget as of yet but i’m expecting somewhere around the £2000 mark.

my first bit of thinking with the computer is the nvme for the linux install along side the 2 hdd’s for storage and have the 500gb m.2 as a windows install for a few games. if i can get the games working on linux i’ll skip the win install totally. I’d be using it for video editing, video encoding, photo editing, media and games.

anyway, thats my blurb. let me know what you think and potential problems, compatibility issues among anything else that can be thinking.

1 Like

Don’t use the Firecudas. Use 750GB WD Black drives instead. Firecudas are slower than 5400RPM drives when data is fragmented.

Well… whatever you do, don’t do it right now.

Here is what I did a while back:

2k stirling budget isn’t “Overkill” for doing “everything” really. I’d say that keeps you out of Intel Socket 299 or AMD TR4 (well sure you COULD go there, but budget isn’t enough to stretch legs on those platforms).

2c, but at this price range you’re not going to be doing custom water loops or anything yet either. For general purpose stuff, AMD > Intel at the moment IMHO (especially with the security flaws coming out). I think the higher core count Ryzen parts will age better than the Intel price-equivalent parts.

So…

I’d build a Ryzen R7-2700X (using the box cooler, it’s fine) with an Nvidia or AMD card of your choice (but for Linux i’d consider Vega 56 or 64 because open drivers), 32 GB of RAM, as much SSD storage as you can afford and a 4 TB spinning disk for bulk/archive data. I’d prioritise more SSD capacity (i.e., SATA) over faster M.2 SSDs (as 500MB/sec SATA SSD will handle “general stuff” just fine, including video editing). M.2 is faster sure, but having more fast disk than disk that is faster but not noticeable in regular use is preferable IMHO. Difference between SATA SSD and M.2 is nothing like the difference between rust and SATA SSD.

The Taichi X470 or Ultimate is a good all-round Ryzen board.

The Define R6 is a great case to build in.

Look for ram on the board’s compatibility list. Avoid blower coolers on the GPU. Get a 750+ watt PSU to avoid the PSU fan spinning and increase efficiency…

Other than that, buy reputable brands, keep an eye on what is a good deal.

I did basically this just recently, except i went dual-GPU (Vega 64s) and am happy with the result. I do plan to put the thing on custom water loop if i can be bothered at some point, but that’s outside of your (and mine at the time) budget. But the case will handle it just fine.

My build does not contain any spinning disks. All those are pushed out to my NAS. System is entirely SSD :+1:

'MURICA FUCK YEAH! - This is exactly the sorta thing that I’m into, this is my thing, funny fact I’ve been doing hours of research into taking it to the next level for small::power::cooling/reliability ratio.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the best bet would be to make your own case, I mean if you really want to push the boundaries. I’ve come up with a fairly basic design, one which can allow for a 120 AIO cooler, full size GPU, 4 x SSD’s and an intake fan at the front.

But seeing as you’ve picked your case already, that point is irrelevant, I thought I’d just share that with you.

You can make something beautiful with that budget! :heart:
… But overkill, maybe not, I’m thinking more like a very solid and humble work/battle/gaming/whatever station.

Reading what @thro has said, I strongly agree with a lot of the points he has made. I think that he’s thinking the best all round performance for ‘everything’ to price ratio, I mean no doubt that AMD beats Intel for price, no questions asked.

But considering that you want an ITX build, I strongly suggest you get a Gigabyte ‘ultra durable’ board, they’re great boards! It’s what I’m using right now and when they say ultra durable, they mean it, installing the CPU cooler not that long ago, I slipped with the screw, scrapped over the mobo, I was ready to cry at this point, only it’s working fine with 0 issues :joy:

As for my personal build I’m rocking the following system:

CPU: intel i7 6700K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (16GB x 2)
GPU: GTX 1070 Asus Strix
SSD: Samsung 500GB 750 EVO SSD (x2), Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 250GB M.2 2280 (x1)
HDD: WD Black 4TB (x2) WD MyPassport 4TB (x1)
PSU: EVGA 750 GQ (80+ Gold)
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI Intel Z170
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (Previously SilverStone RVZ02 + the handle from ML08, but I needed more storage and preferably better cooling.)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i V2

I have that much storage for the sheer amount of work I do, in addition to the huge archive I have, which I should probably go through and clean up! :joy:

All in all, I love my ITX build, it’s fast, does an awesome job and has no signs of slowing down at all as of yet, with my over all set up, the only things that I really need to upgrade is investing into better peripherals. I’m currently rocking two ghetto monitors that are so cheap I actually can’t find them online when I Google the make & model. :joy:

Thanks for the input guys, do appreciate it.

May have to look into a TR4 and X299 and see if I can get a mitx with sufficient cooling and power :slight_smile: