Overkill - Home Server - ZFS, help needed

I started down this path over a year ago and play with some stuff at work (a bunch of really old hardware just laying around). This is the design for my new home server to replace my X299 HEDT computer that currently just hosts PLEX. It could have a lot of capability but was my old gaming rig, then decided to build a NAS, but didn’t hear about ZFS till later. This entire process seems like a money pit (it is) but I’m learning more along the way, and well since I’m an IT in the Navy, retiring in a few years, the experience and knowledge could be useful.

TL:DR – Need help and clarification RAIDZ design/setup – there’s lots of data and a explanation.

This is a log/story of my learning experience and poor planning build, I have watched more YouTube videos from Lawrence Systems, Level1Techs, ServeTheHome, 45 Drives, Techno Tim, Raid OWL, and Craft Computing for ZFS. I’ve also scoured the net looking up information about what to do with my build and have almost completed my build. I felt the need to rush the building process a bit recently as I’m in the US Navy and moving overseas (few months) and will deploy the server to a family members home while away. I plan to use VPN to access/manage the machine, but the family member also works in IT, so I feel safe having it there. My current server has 42TB’s used and I have about 1TB free, I move files between externals currently to mitigate before the new server build.

Here’s a list of current parts and parts that are in shipping, then I’ll talk about the plan, and how the server is setup.

Part Name Model # Quantity
Chassis 45 Drives Q30 Q30 1
CPU-cooler Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 1
Chassis-Fan Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM NF-F12 IPPC 3000 5
CPU AMD EPYC 7302P 100-100000049WOF 1
Motherboard SuperMicro H11SSL-NC H11SSL-NC 1
RAM Supermicro 64GB ECC RDIMM DDR4 3200 M393A8G40AB2-CWE 2 (+2)
PSU Zippy 1200watt Dual Redundant PSU 1
GPU NVIDIA RTX 4000 (Quadro) 1
HBA LSI 9305-24 (SAS HBA) SAS 9305-24 1
HBA #2 LSI 9305-16 ( not purchased ) SAS 9305-16 1
NIC 10GigTek – Dual SFP+ Intel X710-BM2 1
Expander SuperMicro PCIe carrier for 4xNVMe AOC-SHG3-4M2P 1
NVMe Drive Kingston DC1000B 240GB m.2 SEDC1000BM8/240G 2
NVMe Drive Micron 7400 PRO M.2 22110 1.92TB MTFDKBG1T9TDZ-1AZ1ZABYY 2
HDD Refurb – Seagate Exos 14TB X14 SAS3 ST14000NM0288 15 (+6)
OS SSD SAMSUNG PM893 2.5” 480Gb SATA3 MZ-7L348000 2 (Mirror)

As you can see lots of capability beyond my current needs, but most of the hardware is already purchased and installed. The +2 on the RAM I’m probably going to pick some up here shortly as it’s much cheaper now and instead of doing L2ARC for my purposes. The Seagate Exos drives are shipped, and I’ll be getting the build moving forward, I purchased 20 drives (reseller threw in an extra, woo (21 Drives), but only plan to use 15 in the Pool.

Server currently runs Proxmox VE 7, plan is to spin up a couple of VM’s Truenas Scale (ZFS), Ubuntu (Plex), Houston (Server management), and anything else early on to install (sonar, radar, other download management). I was thinking about using the Kingston NVMe Drives (Mirror) as a ZIL/SLOG location, and the Micron NVMe drives (Mirror) for either hosting VM’s or being a location for incoming downloads? (Not sure).

The ZFS layout I had planned was a Pool of 15 Drives (RAIDZ2) with two VDEV’s of 6 disks each. 45 Drives Q30 Layout, backplane is SAS interface.

Group 1 – 15 Drive bays Group 2 – 15 Drive bays
RAIDZ2 – VDEV1 Future addition
RAIDZ2 – VDEV2 Future addition
RAIDZ2 – Hot Spare Future addition

I don’t need personal opinions on how I could have spent way less to get the same result, that’s apparent, but would like to know if what I’m looking into doing is correct and not completely dumb in the setup. Below is what I could figure out at ( ZFS Capacity Calculator - WintelGuy.com ) RAIDZ calculator.

I do have a QNAP external with 56TB of space for backups, and will most likely upgrade its capacity in the future as I’m only using 6 of the 12 bays (Has dual 10gb SFP+ NIC).

Thanks for all input.

-LGG

2 Likes

For data storage and access without special performance needs, your choice of vdevs of 6 disk Raidz2 is probably one of the best options available, balancing space efficiency, safety, as well as having no extra block padding needed. It’s what I personally use for anything that’s not a VM (which go on nvme mirrors). Have you looked at what pool/dataset properties should be set? Things like turning off atime and setting recordsize=1M for storage are generally helpful. I have a list of suggestions I can dig up later if you like.

3 spares is probably excessive, but not unreasonable for a computer you intend to not have immediate access to. Make sure to test that the spares behave and activate they way you think they do by physically pulling a drive. You don’t want to be surprised with them just sitting there doing nothing because of bugs with a particular setup.

How are you intending to backup? I’d make sure to split things into a “things I can redownload again” dataset and “Things I mustn’t lose” dataset and back up at least the latter. Sanoid and some other things like pyznap and zrep make it automatic and easy when setup.

1 Like

I have not looked at pool/dataset should be set to and honestly I’ve only seen a little about that. I Would definitely be interested in your suggestions.

I did feel that this was a little excessive, but while I will go to sea, and the family member has a new kid, the drives will be near by and he’ll be able to check on the system. I like the idea he’s able to not have to interact as much.

I’d be honest that most of the stuff could be re-downloaded, yet it would take forever, and I’ll mark the items that are harder to find. Since I have an 8-SFP+ port 10gb switch, 2-ports on the Server, 2-ports on the NAS then a 10gb uplink to the rest of the network. The server has two built in 1gbps NIC’s plus management NIC, I’m sure I’ll have enough bandwidth to perform the backups. I may need to upgrade the NAS’s ability to intake the massive snapshots with an NVMe add in board.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.