Overheating issues on Phanteks Evolv ATX (WaterCooling & Airflow Issues)

Hello guys,

Im having issues with the temperature of my RIG, the case itself its a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX non TG, i have searched the web and found that the Case has bad airflow for Watercooling.

Previously i was doing well with my 5820k cooled by EKWB Supremacy EVO on 240mm XSPC + 360mm EKWB Rads, mind that the XSPC its on the top and being passive with no fans and the Front 360 its taking fresh air from the outside with 2x140mm Phanteks stock fans.

The issue started when i watercooled my 980ti, both on stocks clocks/voltage and when under heavy load get to 70C~~ but when using it more than 3 hours the temp slowly climb to 80C and for a stock clocks on water its toooo much, im planning on getting 5 Noctuas for the rads to try to counter the heat, but reading the Phanteks forums they usually suggest to mod the TOP Cover + No I/O Shield + no PCIe Brackets, i dont know if its worth it to keep the case or just get something like the CM MasterCase 5.

So what do you think?, anyone has the same issue with the case?, any suggestions? any other case suggestions?

I mean I would do what the forum says so the heat has somewhere to go. You aren’t going to get as much airflow through meshing as you are from a giant hole.

Just take the PCIe spacers out and the front bay panel covers and you’ll probably be fine.

1 Like

Well, i think the Case is flawed if they suggest that, its the same issue with Intel and kabylake K Skus recommending not overclocking.

I will try with the noctuas but if the issue persist i will just sell the Evolv

I mean… No? Pretty much all meshing works like that. All cases will have improved airflow by doing that.

Whatever dude. You’re spending money when you don’t even need to.

Have you got a picture of your setup so we can get a better idea of what is going on here.

It can be done. jayz2cents has issues with his… but…

IT would seem so, but that is not a huge surprise looking at it. IT is solid panels all the way round except for the rear panel, I would not expect my NZXT H440 to be a good case for water cooling for the same reason. It is designed to look a certain way with drawback in line with that.

Though the other thing i will ask is are there any other fans in your case? You only mentioned the 2 stock 140mm Phanteks case fans that you have put on the front 360 rad.

Is there any fan in the back of the case to vent hot air out? If you are water cooling you should probably have the rads fully stocked with appropriate fans for watercooling, such as high static pressure fans for the rads and a high airflow fan for the case exhaust. You also need to think about the direction of the fans and if they are making positive air pressure in the case as that will help vent/force out the hot air in the case while also keeping the dust to a minimum.

Because you only have 2 fans on on a rad that really should have 3 fans and none on the other rad that should have 2 on it you are hitting heat soak, where the loop is just not getting the heat out quick enough so it builds up until it cannot deal with it quick enough any more.

instead of buying a new case you would almost definitely be better served putting the money into buying enough and appropriate fans for the job. maybe a set of 5 EK vardars and something high airflow to exhaust the air.

Well the case has one on the Back a 140mm so there are just 3 right now 2 on the Front and 1 on the back, this configuration worked on other case, a Phantom fron NZXT i had the 240mm Rad Passive aswell and the 360 with just 2x120mm.

The Evolv currently has Positive pressure, the issue itself its that the heated air keeps getting recirculated thru the case, the TOP part has an issue with the Tiny vents preventing a good Exhaust, then the heated air goest on the back of the motherboard and back to the PSU Shroud.

Yeah im waiting on the part when he shows the actual mods to the top, i assume he made laser cuts on the TOP cover.

the bad airflow its a well know issue with this case

Im currently at work, let me see if i have some photos of the Rig in my phone

1 Like

just go to a CNC shop ask them how much to add Slots in the top or even cooler yet… lighting bolts… and bam ull be golden might aswell get ur front pannel done too

Just because it worked does not mean it was done right. All rads should have fans other wise water cooling is pointless. You are just making a really big pretty bad heatsink.

Get more fans and ones that fit correctly. It fix all your problems

I have not watched it yet but unless he specifically stated he did modify the top I can 100% guarantee he has not modded the case. He just does not get into that stuff on any build that is not completely necessary, and with a well set up loop it is not necessary.

Thought is was a Jayz2cents video.

Na its from Singularity Computers
When he talks about the clocks he said something about a mod on the Top, but in that part and the stability checking atleast on camera, the Front/Top were off the case.

I just got to that part. I interested to see what he had to do. It really should not be necessary at all.

Edit: but he is putting 2 1080tis in as well so more heat, also water cooled ram for what ever reason.

I think this situation is, in part, due to the nature of the case but mostly to the lack of force air through those radiators. I think that if you put proper fan on every part of those radiators you’re going to get rasonable temperatures again.

JayzTwoCents had issues too because he thought that two GTX Titan X bios modded to run batshit crazy overclocked would run cool enough on a 240mm radiator. That’s a pretty big oversight also taking into consideration the way the case was engineered.
P.S. he was running a 560+280 to cool three of those GPUs and still had issues with coloured coolant getting too hot and changing colour so that says enough about how much heat those cards produce when heavly overclocked.

The Case its self overheats when using a 240mm on the front, the issue its that theres not enought exhaust vents on the top and the 140mm on the back cant provide enought flow

I get that but I am saying if you had the full compliment of 3 fans of the front and proper static pressure ones to deal with the restricted air flow and two more on top again static pressure to help vent it while also making use of the rad rather than treating it like a small res/big pipe, you problems would go away.

And a proper airflow fan made for venting high volumes of air in the back.

This seems like one of those times where OP has made up their mind and are seeking approval where it’s not going to come.

Seriously, just get some fans. The case is good enough for your system as you state it only gets to those high temperatures after ~3 hours, until that time it’s fine correct? This is a function of not enough airflow through the radiators which is remedied by putting the correct type and number of fans on them.

1 Like

Well im just waiting for the 5 Noctuas to arrive and try that

1 Like

If that doesn’t help and you want to stay in the smaller mid tower range, I can recommend the Corsair 400Q. It is a simple black box with lots of holes, big rubber feet to reduce vibrations and noise damping material installed on the side panels and the front cover. I only build air cooled systems in it but it should be able to handle a lot of liquid cooling as well.