Overclocking Vega 64 is stability nightmare

Cant find reliable stress tests, and all of them end up revealing that the next program manages to crash my card, making actual overclocking to be mess as I dont know whats crashing

Been ongoing problem since I got my Fury, and I have now Vega 64 with the same eccentric behavior

Latest little GPU crasher is Blender, as soon as I try to alter accretion disk around my black hole, whole machine freezes and Win10 bluescreens about GPU TDP, and I really really really dont want to play this game anymore, and its starting to make me get really fustrated, why cant this piece of shit just work with the overclocks on!

Ayy :rage:

1 Like

do any of them crash at stock clocks? i’ve seen on CPU and GPU, chips PCed passing 1 stress test and failing another, they all use different instruction sets and resources with in the CPU. to be truly stable on a CPU, i’ll run 50-70 hours on each stress program, i’ve had some fail after 30 hours 1 in program and not the other.

GPUs on the other hand, don’t need THAT stringent of testing, i’ve run GPUs that artifact in stress tests when OCed but, run most or all of my games fine with said OC. I’ve had vise versa, passes stress but, fails in applications.

HBM is different creature

I’d rank HBM card stress tests

1. Frostbite
  2. Civilization VI
  3. Warframe
  4. Witcher 3
  5. all benchmark stress tests are somewhere here

Civ VI stable crashes Frostbite, and so on
and for the core side

1. MSI kombustor
  2. rest dont do shit

and no idea whats my Blendering crashing, so I cant say which one is it :man_shrugging:t2:

I had to remodel my Vega 56 overclock/undervolt for Battlefield 5. If the core clocks aren’t perfectly stable it will just exit to desktop, which scared me at first because that can have other causes like bad RAM. Pushing HBM2 a bridge too far shows up as easy to spot artifacts well before it seizes up.

1 Like

Yea rising core voltage seems to only crash blender to desktop instead going all the way to timeout

1030mv to two last phases and it has been stable, for now

1 Like

Hmm, some Blender animation trying to render each frame to that preview could be THE BEST core clock stability test :thinking:

I found new dimension for Vega 64 crashing from combining black hole with the rings and 50000 particles