Overclocking the 3990x on Windows 10 using the Zenith 2 extreme Alpha

So, after having this system now for a few years I have finally got everything to run proper.

disclaimer this won’t be 100% about the Hardware but also software things with the CPU, motherboard and GPU.

Originally I had the 5700 OC ASUS ROG GPU but I was able to FINALLY get a 6900xt from AMD’s website.

Now, most of my renders are simple and quick so I don’t need every core but over these 2 years I have learned a few things about my 3990x that is insightful for the more common of users

First and Foremost, if you have Windows 10 and install the 3990x, you DO NOT get all 64 cores in use out of the box. You will need to upgrade your windows to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations. Unless there is a underground patch I’m unaware of, I am again just talking to the average user who gets their hands on some Over Powered things…

Anyone who doesnt remember, I had got my CPU during COVID at a HUGE discounted price so I could not pass it up. Do I need the 3990x? Heck no but this will last me a LONG time for the applications I use

Anyways once you have all 64 cores unlocked, from upgrading to Pro for Workstations, you will need to make sure your Bios is up to date, and then go into the bios so we can change a few settings

Under the Ai Tweaker Menu go to the Precision Boost Overdrive area and click on it then you will see 4 options. Change all the settings to the following;

Precision Boost Overdrive [Enabled]
Precision Boost Overdrive Scaler [Enabled]
Max CPU Boost Clock Override [200MHz]
Platform Thermal Throttle Limit [Enabled]

Also, go back to the main Ai Tweaker area and make sure CPU core Ratio is set to [Auto] as mine was set to 36.00, or 3.6ghz and it was basically capping the performance my CPU can have. So make sure its set to Auto.

Then BAM!!! save and restart then go check out the amazing performance you will have! the base clock is set to 2.9 but it will dig as low as 2ghz and jump up as high as 4.2+ with an average CPU temp of 60-68c

I figured all this out when I could not get Cinebench to run proper. So I hope this will help others! also I was able to find a guy who helped unlock my 6900xt’s full potential on youtube!!! their channel is named Adnan Tech and the video is AMD 6900 XT overclocking guide - YouTube

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.