Overclocking Question

i have a e7200 (intel, @2.55GHZ) and i want to overclock by 200mhz, now im wondering: im getting like 58,55 on 100 percent load (after 4 hrs of prime95) and 44,40 idle, would it be safe to overclock? i had it on 3 ghz with a voltage that was way to high (1.3875 and the pcu was getting to 77 degrees) sooo.... im using the intel stock hsf but with as5, is a 200mhz overclock okay? also, does anybody know any voltages? should i use the bios AUTO setting or set it myself?

Good luck, brah. I got 4.2 GHZ on stock cooling :D

Godly chip.

ON A E7200? HOLY SHIT! what temps?

you must set voltages yourself in bios, they will always over or undervolt and cause crashing.

Skump can help you with this since you both have the same chip. I'd try leaving it on auto. 200mhz is pretty small compared to the bigger OC's I've seen.

do you think i can try going for 3ghz again with good temps? my voltages were WAAAAAAYYYYYY too high in the first place, or i can try 2.85...

you dont need ur voltage so high, just be patient. set ur mutlipier as high as possbile, and increase ur fsb little by little that way, u dnt have to use unescary volts n ur cpu.

lol I had 72C under linpack load.

oh wow, i didn't know that.... but my multiplier is maxed out at 9.5 on stock, its strange...

what would also be a good max temp, like a boundary that i should not go past...

okay... skump, i got 2.81GHZ stable at 59 and 58. voltage at 1.255, do you think thats a safe long-term temp?

59c? on idle or under load?

Stay under 60 load and 40 idle.

thats 61 degrees after 1 hour on 100 maxed. its in the mid 40s idle. i'd say im about right!

Skumps clock isnt legit, He gets bluescreen all the time.

50CalPotato wrote 4 hours ago »

thats 61 degrees after 1 hour on 100 maxed. its in the mid 40s idle. i'd say im about right!

Enjoy your BSOD, 61 C after an hour and mid 40s C are terrible temps. You just don't seem to be a good overclocker. You should ask someone who's really knows this stuff to personally help you if you can. Don't ask me though, I'm not a good OCer myself.

First, try to stress you FSB.

That is the first thing you should try.

wow okay now i feel scared. my fsb is at 295... the "ratio" (multiplier) is at 9.5...

edit: idle its 50/44... p95 seems to think its stable...

edit: should i keep lowering the voltage from 1.255v and try to achieve the coolest stable result?

edit: okay i can't stand this, rtw is full of people who know this shit, is nobody able to help!?

edit: Okay, im editing this so i don't have to make like over 9000 posts in one go, but cpuz and sys info both say that the processor is only operating on 2.55GHZ, the stock clock speed, when the bios says its running at 2.82. I lowered the voltage to 1.244V. rebooted, and all programs still say the same. EXCEPT for coretemp, which says the CPU's multiplier is constantly switching from 9.5 to 6. when its at 9.5 its right, 2.82GHZ, when its at 6 its 1.77GHZ

edit: also, with a reduced voltage im at 44/37! thats MUCH nicer. FSB= 295, MULTIPLIER: 9.5 VOLTAGE: 1.24365

[i've heard about double posting, but [u][b]QUINTUPLE POSTING x9001[/b][/u]? if your posts are still within the same hour, (which these clearly were) [b][u]PLEASE[/u][/b] use the edit button. it's there for a reason. i know the kids want to be as awesome as KOkun's 3200 posts when they grow up, but i NEVER double post anything i've posted within the same hour, thanks.]

-KOkun

idle its 50/44... p95 seems to think its stable...

should i keep lowering the voltage from 1.255v and try to achieve the coolest stable result?