Overclocking question about power throttling

I’ve got a 4790k, hyper 212 evo push/pull config.

I’ve been playing around with overclocking a bit, particularly power limits for turbo boosting.

the extra 400 mhz is costly (thermally) , under full load @ 4ghz with turbo off cpu barely hits 75c, with turbo on it’ll hit 100c and thermally throttle fairly consistently

my goal has been to allow the system to turbo, but prevent thermal throttling.

Essentially i’ve narrowed it down to a 113-115w limit with my cooler to allow the cpu to turbo as much as possible without going over 95c.

cinebench score with turbo stock = 2024-2028, 2005-2010 with the power limit, so there is a small perfomance cost.

Is there any harm being done to the cpu limiting the turbo power, is it going to stress the VRM on my mobo more than stock behavior? I would suspect not, but i’d like to ask if anyone knows something I don’t?

I found it sort of funny, just playing around disabling turbo and manually bumping the multipliler to 44 gets slightly better performance on the two or three tests i’ve done, and doesn’t seem to throttle as often as just enabling turbo, but that could be subjective.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.