Overclock your monitor with NVIDIA! Windows and Linux

Thanks for posting, thought id give it a try although I'm not sure if it worked.
I have a 120hz monitor (which was a pain in the ass to get linux to retain the refresh rate on reboot).

So I made a couple changes to the edid and its set to 144 because why not. Logged out and back in and nothing has broken. It seems as smooth as the 120hz. Is there a way to see the active refresh rate?

Nvidia settings shows 119.98hz, but im not sure if thats because of the mode that I has previously set in the xorg config.

The only way I know to look is that most monitors have an information section of the OSD. I just go there to see the current resolution and refresh rate.

Turn on v-sync in a game and see if it caps at your new settings.

Ah, didn't even think about that.

Thanks for a written tutorial man. :)

1 Like

Thanks for this guide, one problem ..

Unfortunately the link to AW EDID Editor requires registration to the site name, email etc.. not happening. Any other alternatives ?

You can enter BS info, they don't require email confirmation.

1 Like

Tried it just now with my Acer H236HL and got it up to 75Hz so that is nice. An extra 15fps from 60Hz should be a noticeable difference. Will have to try out the Linux config if I am not lazy. I love Linux but why do some simple things have to be needlessly complicated to execute, like disabling mouse acceleration?

Thank you for the guide, @GrayBoltWolf.

1 Like

The only thing I would like to add to all of this is stability testing should be factored into all of this.

If your monitor can hit 75hz, but it has significant frame skipping, then bad things will happen.

1 Like

Yup what is that website with the UFO and all the tests? That will show any of that up pretty quickly.

Monitor test or framefrate test or something. Wendell always has it open when reviewing a monitor.

This one?

http://testufo.com/#test=framerates

1 Like

Tested that out. There wasn't any frame skipping or ghosting after overclocking my monitor. I'm all good.

1 Like

My 3 monitors can be overclocked to 75Hz in Windows with the Nvidia settings but will not work in Linux. I did all the steps you did for Linux

I am having a similar issue – modeline not accepted as valid by fedora25 (Qubes), even though the same 71hz refresh rate and modeline settings work splendidly in windows. Anyone have a suggestion as to what to try?

Reviving a necro-thread to say thanks for posting this. This method out of many is the only one that has worked for me. 60 to 77hz is so much easier on the eyes while reading. Only problem I had with the tutorial was editing the xorg.conf. Took me a minute to figure out I needed my monitor device name and not “Monitor”. Kinda feel silly.

2 Likes

If anyone else runs into my issue, try using the -c mode (v1.1 compliant, no requirement for multiples of 60Hz; v1.2 modelines weren’t accepted by my U28e590ds) from this cvt calculator: https://github.com/kevinlekiller/cvt_modeline_calculator_12/blob/master/README.md

I could not follow the instructions . if I checked the name for the monitor I ended up with “DP-2”…
after some hours of google I found this page: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3571/~/managing-a-display-edid-on-linux
(Works on Ubuntu 19.10 , so probably every version )

there are some hints to figure out the correct name , mine was “DFP-2” for example and also a more “nice” way of editing the Xconf file.
like this:

sudo nvidia-xconfig --custom-edid="GPU-0.DFP-3:/home/nvidia/edid-alien.txt

hope it helps someone

Come on guys, what about AMD on Linux please? We all know that AMD has far better and proper open-source Linux support. Surely this is possible on a Ryzen system with a AMD R9 290 and a Debian Buster distro called MX19. How can I grab and extract the EDID on MX19 on a AMD based system please?

You know its strange, under windows I can configure my 40" Qnix 4k freesync screen to have a freesync range of 35-60 (default is hilariously bad 48-65), but under LINUX if I configure a custom edid with that range for freesync, it causes major flickering and even in some cases blackouts in games.

Keeping in mind I’m using a NVIDAI 1080TI VRR compat mode so maybe that has something to do with it? wondering what the result will be once i move back to a AMD GPU.

Has anyone else had issues with freesync ranges working under windows but not under Linux (due to flicker etc) ?

Hello i put my hz on 87 same number i have on windows but it blacked screen wnd now every time i try to run PopOs it just black screens for a while and then restarts and boots into 10