I’ve been hosting a Nextcloud server on a raspberry PI for a couple years now. Along the way I upgraded from a PI 3B to a PI 4 B, got an external SSD, graduated from school, added some other server software and switched from bare metal to having almost everything in docker containers. The PIs have served me well, but I want more. I’m not entirely sure how to go about it though. Here are my constraints:
- I would like to spend a few hundred euros on this.
- I don’t have the luxury of to much space. So as much is I’d love some old data center gear, the required floor space and noise don’t really make it a viable option.
- I live in Germany.
- I don’t need (probably wouldn’t event want) anything plug & play. At my age one has all the time in the world but not a lot of money, plus I like tinkering with stuff.
- Power usage isn’t that big of a concern since I’m not directly paying for that.
- I’m quite familiar with anything AMD has put out since Ryzen, Intel’s jungle of digits and letters gives me a much harder time.
There are two things I hope to get help with:
- Hardware choice:
I could easily go spend 180€ on a Ryzen 5 3600, get a microATX case, a bunch of new low end consumer grade hardware, leave out the GPU and have a system in the ballpark from 400€ to 500€.
Not only would that be rather boring, I’ve also seen people get a lot more performance for less money.
But as noted above, old servers don’t fit my requirements.
- Getting deals on used hardware:
I don’t really know how to properly search for stuff in places like Craigslist (or rather Ebay-Kleinazeigen, since Craigslist isn’t much of a thing here). Feels like you’re either getting flooded with irrelevant offers or get none at all.
This is all rather broad, but I’d be thankful for any ideas you you might have.