Our Linux Server: Sandstorm | Tek Syndicate

To me that server seems a teeny weeny bit overkill as a personal cloud server. But who am I to answer that, I know nothing about this kind of stuff :D
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3767194

Energy wise they're not that insane, 40W ACP (Average CPU Power) each or 60W TDP each.

Kenton, thanks for stopping by the forum. So, could you give us your one-paragraph elevator pitch about why we should use the Sandstorm platform for a basic personal server? Pretend I know very little about computers, have no formal IT training and zero development experience, and have until now have never even considered building my own server. (You don't have to pretend very much to get there.)

It may help you to remember that, at least as far as I understand it, the reason why Sandstorm has come up on our radar is that many of us in the community are interested in moving or have already started to move our personal data and activities into the cloud, but we're not comfortable turning all of that data and control over to Google, Apple, or Microsoft. People started putting in a lot of requests to Wendell and the Linux channel for tutorials about how to start building our own cloud-accessible servers. I can't speak for the community or for the TS team, but that's at least how I understand the impetus for this series.

Thanks for the discount Wendell. I got my .tech :)

Do we get a linode discount?

Why isn't the intro song Darude Sandstorm?

Copyright ... money... pick one ;)

@wendell every time you said "The Cloud" I was waiting for you to say "Cyber Security"

1 Like

Nobody else thinks of Cloud?

He must feel disappointed.

Domain Name inspired by @wendell

2 Likes

Here is a pretty good podcast with Sandstorm founder Kenton Varda if anyone is interested. Goes into a little bit about the security, how it works, how it's built etc.

2 Likes

Because web apps can't really be open source unless everyone runs their own servers:

sandstorm.io/news/2014-07-21-open-source-web-apps-require-federated-hosting

Another reason is because it's nice to have everything in one place, rather than jump around to 20 different services trying to keep track of your data. Privacy is one advantage, but there's more to it than just privacy.

(Sorry it took me awhile to notice your reply.)

1 Like

It reduces the complexity of the OS that runs my actual hardware.

/ is where my Debian starts

Then ZFS is mounted at /storage and in each dir is root for something else that's outside packages, as well as /storage/library /storage/backups etc

you can be UNIX without being POSIX

EDIT: Will I be able to use this if I dont open a port from the outside of my firewall?

As soon as this ubuntu iso downloads i'll be installing sandstorm in my proxmox environment.

Gonna give it a try.

You can setup a local server, but it will not be reachable from the internet.

Does that mean it's not usable?

That means, as long as you do not allow a connection from the outside world to the server it wont be able to be used from the outside; only locally on your home network.

1 Like

So far looks like I cant use it locally either....
Will keep trying.....

EDIT: might be onto something... if I can sort out user logins.

1 Like

Looks like I am in business....

1 Like

have fun =) maybe you should not have shared your url with everyone ^^

EDIT: wont work - so forget about that =)

lol you wont be able to get to it.
Try it please

1 Like