Our area has dsl and it sucks

we only have dsl in our area and it sucks!
I just ordered a new modem because ours is old and is giving us some issues.
was going to have fios installed but that service doesn’t come in our area (only half the state away) anyhow at present our speed(download) waffles between 360k to 2.1 mb per second and 80 % of that time on the low end of the scale.
slow as frozen shit!
im hoping to see a little improvement at least, although i really dont want to it seems i might have to resort to cable broadband

I feel your pain. Nine years ago, I moved from Dallas, where I had Time Warner cable modem service and then FiOS, to a very small town in northeast Mississippi. I built a house on a plot of family land I purchased from my family, so my location was fixed. My only option for 6 years was Hughesnet Satellite and even with cutting out virtually all video and having to pay $80/month I would still find myself paying for “reset tokens” to have my throttled connection reset for a very short time after I used up my bandwidth allocation. Three years ago, AT&T finally offered us 3Mbit DSL, even though others on the next road had it for years. We are at 3.1 miles from the switch, but luckily get up to 3.2Mbit down and 500k up. You really don’t know how good you have it until you move and find yourself throttled. Not to mention paying as much as people getting 20-30x the speed I’m getting.

I keep hoping that 5G or some sort of WIMAX will save us but I honestly think rural areas are doomed to subsidize the rest of the nation perpetually.

Cable broadband really isn’t that bad. The download speeds are usually pretty good. I’ve seen real-world numbers of up to 500mbps down on docsis 3.1.

I would recommend giving it a try.

2 Likes

just might do that after the first of the year

I feel your pain. I’ve been on ADSL (not even symmetrical) till 2 years ago and I basically had internet since the 56k connections were around. My connection was so bad that while uploading a PDF to Google Drive it would go offline thinking my connection was dead because I didn’t have enough bandwith to upload and tell Google’s server that I was online.

Yeah, a good modem could make your connection go faster but don’t expect miracles. If you don’t need port forwarding maybe there’s a 4G provider that would give you a plan for a decent amount of money.

Sucks mate.

Im on adsl2+ but it can hold a 1080p youtube stream without pauses. My only blessing is its “unlimited” in that I can queue up stuff and wait with no fear on hitting a limit.

If you have the option to go with cable (e.g. docsis over coax) why stick to meh DSL?

If you’re looking to make the most of your DSL, go read about bufferbloat, token buckets, sfq, random early detection, fq_codel and if you’re feeling like a linux-y person, get an openwrt router, and if not get a $50 edgerouter-x and enable “smartqueue” on it.

I have DSL also
You get used to it
Having an RF insulated line to the phone jack helped allot over the old phone line I was using.

Under my house my father in law pointed out that the phone line was wrapped abound the electrical lines in the basement from one end of the house to the other. I am just to lazy to fix that.
On Titanfall 1.0 I get lag times as low as 63ms
Then wife starts watching VUDO on the roku and I get kicked from the game.
DSL companies are desperate for customers
She complained about outages when it rains and they cut our bill in half

BF1 and Battlefront 2 took a week each to download

Daughter starts college next year
Looking at shortwave radio for entertainment right now :slight_smile:
Or my cb radio…no mods…last place you can say what you really think :stuck_out_tongue:

got comcast cable today and download of a 1.5 gig file 1 min 45 seconds through router connected to cable modem.
so about 15 mb per second.
vs an hour and a half via dsl.
more than pleased

3 Likes

Congrats!

Welcome to 2008 in the city lol

Thats 120mbit.

2 Likes

Thanks for mathing for me.

1 Like

Big whoop. I’ve lived in a small mountain community and I’ve put up with it for the 8 years I’ve been here. Isn’t that bad. Just need to know when to download stuff when everyone else is using the WiFi. I’ve never seen higher than 860k. And most of the time I’m stuck with 160.

15 mb ain’t 15 mB :wink:, yeah yeah ik :joy:, had to make the pun.
But anyways in traffic yeah ppl talk about bits and not bytes.

1 Like

Haha lols :smiley:

connected through a router!
I haven’t tested it direct from the modem yet.
and speed can be limited by the equipment connected to the modem
of course its an older router but Ill probably purchase a better router later

Well as long as the said router support 1Gb nat connections.
Then there shouldn´t really be any limitation.
Unless its such a cheap pile of crap like sweex or so…

Pretty much any router released in the past decade can NAT gigabit with hardware offloading enabled. Typically that means you can’t use QoS. Which is fine because at gigabit, you don’t need it.

Ive had it on the shelf for about 10 years (remembered it when i was cleaning out last week)
I’ll be getting a new one as soon as i can

Buffer bloat can be an issue on most consumer routers… not saying he will run into that issue but LOL its not all about link speed