OS for NAS to have one pool/vdev copy changes to another pool/vdev on a schedule?

So I’m working on revising my NAS, and I’m trying to find a way to make the actual access to the NAS faster and still have resiliency of hard drives.

Right now, I’m using ZFS on Ubuntu with 3 disks in a RAIDz1 (2 for storage, 1 for parity). Each drive is 8TB so I have a total storage size of 16TB after the one drive being used for parity.

The issue is that throughput is really low - as expected, since these are 3.5" WD Red’s which although made for NAS use are definitely not fast.

I figure I can build a different pool of just SSD’s, but I want to keep using my already existing HDD’s.

I figure I can have a setup like this:

1. Keep the already existing 16TB pool (let’s call this “old pool”)
  2. Add enough SATA SSD’s into the system to reach roughly 16TB of storage (let’s call this “new pool”)
  3. Use the new pool for actual read/write operations
  4. When the new pool is not actively in use, push all he changes to the old pool

From trying to read over the different ZFS wikis and such, I could just create a rather large SSD set for ZIL / SLOG and a separate SSD set for L2ARC - but I don’t believe this will do exactly like I’d want to.

Is this possible to do with just plain ZFS on Ubuntu? Or would I have to move to another OS like TrueNAS or unRAID?

Also I feel it’s important to mention that I try follow the 3-2-1 rule by having this data stored on the NAS as well as the cloud, but I’d still be missing one local place to actually follow that rule - would this idea count or is it considered a a single location?

I would suggest the desktop’s flash pool be smaller, and use Sanoid on your NAS to pull via syncoid at regular intervals.
I don’t know if you use ZFS-auto-snapshots or any other too to make snapshots, but you could switch that to sanoid as well.

The more regular snapshots, the less data needs transferring.

Just make sure the pool on the NAS does not get snap-shots created, because you want a copy of your live data.

And if your live pool is the same size, you can’t have a history to look through?