OS for home (media) server

Actually a pretty good question.

1 Like

Hehe, I knew you gonna ask, putting 2nd gpu makes issue where it can not be passed throu, so i dont have enough video outputs and i was using it instead of my 3rd monitor, yet its annoying if tv is not on my workspace becomes infinite backlog of windows on turned off screen, also i want to put 2nd pc (media server) in celling so i can watch tv/w/o noise, access data from phone and keep nextcloud overnight.

For your Kodi on TV experience:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

make your life easier and donā€™t put your NAS / vintage AMD snow blower in a room where you care about noise.

1 Like

Iā€™m a big fan of Unraid myself.

Has great community support and plugins/dockers easily accessed through CA app.
VMs with GPU Pass through is a snap with a really nice GUI to manage it.

On my Unraid media server, Iā€™ve got a Plex container for movies/music/etc, a nextcloud container, and many others. Iā€™ve got several gaming VMs for remote streaming throughout the house using Moonlight/Steam link.

Thereā€™s all sorts of pre-built containers for Emby and Sonarr and all sorts of game servers and home automation systems, home security etc, all maintained by the community.

Gotta say, this makes a whole lot of sense. Much less heat as well. God, the bulldozer CPUs were furnaces.

Especially considering OPā€™s doing Kodi, not plex.

One notable difference, and I think a plus for ubuntu, is the predictable support for LTS ubuntu releases. Canonical supports LTS releases for 5 years, so you know that 18.04 is supported until April 2023. Debian supports old stable for about a year. And their release schedule is not a predictable as canonicalā€™s.

1 Like

If anyone has some idea how to get pxe working with any .iso, let me know :stuck_out_tongue:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PXE#Preparation
works only for arch, and i cant modify it so it runs debian/proxmox, i get to the point of
Jan 29 20:21:32 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[38578]: sent /srv/tftp/boot//pxelinux.cfg/default to 192.168.1.5
Jan 29 20:21:32 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[38578]: file /srv/tftp/boot/Proxmox.img not found
Jan 29 20:21:32 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[38578]: file /srv/tftp/boot/Proxmox.bss not found
Jan 29 20:21:32 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[38578]: file /srv/tftp/boot/Proxmox.bin not found
Jan 29 20:21:32 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[38578]: file /srv/tftp/boot/Proxmox.bs not found
Jan 29 20:21:32 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[38578]: file /srv/tftp/boot/Proxmox.0 not found
Jan 29 20:21:32 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[38578]: file /srv/tftp/boot/Proxmox not found

1 Like

ok Iā€™ve came to the point where im sure the client downloads whole image, and can boot kernel till panic :S

strange thing, it always prioritizes Proxmox.img from ā€œrootā€ of tftp rather than items written in /pxelinux.cfg/default
also when i manually try to load kernel it throws panic " Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on uknown-block(0,0)
@SgtAwesomesauce help pls :S

also i get this as well in my logs on server

n 29 21:02:16 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[62989]: sent /srv/tftp/boot/Proxmox.img to 192.168.1.5

Jan 29 21:02:39 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[62989]: sent /srv/tftp/boot/Proxmox.img to 192.168.1.5
Jan 29 21:03:05 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[62989]: sent /srv/tftp/boot//proxmox/initrd.img to 192.168.1.5
Jan 29 21:03:12 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[62989]: file /srv/tftp/boot//proxmox/linux26.c32 not found
Jan 29 21:03:12 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[62989]: file /srv/tftp/boot//proxmox/linux26.img not found
Jan 29 21:03:12 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[62989]: file /srv/tftp/boot//proxmox/linux26.bss not found
Jan 29 21:03:12 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[62989]: file /srv/tftp/boot//proxmox/linux26.bin not found
Jan 29 21:03:12 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[62989]: file /srv/tftp/boot//proxmox/linux26.bs not found
Jan 29 21:03:12 sinisa94-pc dnsmasq-tftp[62989]: file /srv/tftp/boot//proxmox/linux26.0 not found

Hold on, why are we pxe booting?

And I donā€™t know why this is happening. Iā€™m not well-versed with pxe.

i have no usb, rooted phone, or blank dvd-s, no way to get iso to pc :S

Oh, thatā€™s a pain. I donā€™t think I can help with your pxe issues though.

If you can afford to get a USB, thatā€™d be a huge help.

wait wait, its getting more interesting every sec, now i got it up to show boot screen, its loading up the img, lets see if it will start

tho router so trashy only 3.5MB/s transfer LULW

1 Like

KREYGASM works #mesosmart LULW
Sorry for not being adult on this one, but it took me 2 nights to figure out how does it work, if anyone gets stuck here solution is:
copy all files from syslinux lib folder ā€œ/usr/lib/syslinux/bootā€ to your tftp root
then follow https://github.com/morph027/pve-iso-2-pxe

Well had to scrapp away proxmox, passthrou aint possible (havent tried to use acs patch) so going ubuntu server/debian with lxc containers next, thanks a lot for support

LULW
I remember back in 2006 I paid like 15$ for 512MB Kingstone usb flashdrive, today I bought 32GB usb3 flashdrive for 7$, this world has gone mad :frowning:
also installing ubuntu-server atm

I do nearly the same with mine - ubuntu server running samba, plex, nextcloud, some VMā€™s occassionally. Mine is right in my living room and since i got tired of having to do everything through Webmin while the machine was 3 feet away and next to a TV i ended up installing MATE onto it which for me is great for running qemu/kvm with virtual manager rather than via terminal but either way, headless or headā€¦ful(???)ā€¦id recommend ubuntu server as well
ive updated from 16.04 to 18.04 to now 19.10 and will bump up to 20.04 in april andat that point go back to an LTS releaseā€¦never had any issues which werent directly my own damn fault

any ideas about web managment better than webmin (something that works similar to proxmox webui or freenas one?)

Not really, for what I do webmin and cockpit are sufficient so I have stuck with themā€¦i know that there are other management packages but i dont have any personal experience with them to say, sorry

As far as Iā€™ve seen, for me, ssh into it is best solution, rather than some ui that gives a lot but not so much.

Well in that case hereā€™s an SSH GUI for ya Haha