Oracle reveals stake in arm cpu manufacturer

So I’ve heard some people say it, and based on the momentum I’m seeing, I’m starting to believe it myself. ARM is executing a disruption from below on amd64.

Now, this isn’t to say that amd and Intel are doomed. They both do more than just make desktop, laptop, mobile and server cpus. I would say though, that in a few years, we will see arm cpus taking a seat at the big boys table.

8 Likes

It worked out so well for sun. Sparc III lol.

Arm is kick-ass though. I’d love to see Oracle not become a big sue happy ip company

3 Likes

Well, let’s see what happens.

I’m interested more in the mobile side of this. With things like the pinebook pro (can’t wait to get my hands on one) coming out, we should start to get an idea of if people are interested and if it’s possible.

2 Likes

i wonder if arm could break in to the super secure processing like power isa has a strangle hold on. cause big blue ibm is basically untouched

amd is trying with full ram encryption on their some of their cpus but its not as effective against cold boot still

i wounder what enterprise arm ram encryption will look like in the coming years.

1 Like

I’m not sure. I wonder if security researchers are putting as much effort into ARM as they are Intel?

I suppose the same question could be asked of AMD’s offerings as well.

I don’t see why they couldn’t though.

1 Like

new arm chips still are affected by spec and melt like attacks power isa is not … so arm will go under a major change like intel and amd have to for secure commuting… so im really interested in the path oracle is on in development this

1 Like

Right, but ARM9 would hopefully fix that.

If it doesn’t, we’re in trouble.

1 Like

AMD was cash strapped during the FX days and stayed alive to come back and dominate, i remember when the stock price was 1.83

ARM is wholly owned by the juggernaut called SoftBank

SoftBank has some hiccups

At one time IBM was being eyes for anti-trust action like Ma Bell was, back then 8080 based desktops were seen as toys for children, IBM became a little nervous when VisiCalc enabled this toy to do real business tasks.
From the original article:
“Oracle revealed it has invested $40 million in Ampere Computing,”
Behind this 40 mil is a financial freight train and Masayoshi Son is driving that train

YES PLEASE!!!1!11!

I love the idea behind low-consumption mid-tier performance cpus!

Bought a chromebook with a trashy celeron because of the 12 hours google/samsung promised me they delivered it tho

Would love buying myself some mainstream RISC laptop, regardless of the OS <I’m lying, I want Fuchsia to be good>

Ok, as someone who only knows ARM from phones and Surface Tablets that failed miserably:
What does ARM do differently to defeate the Problems modern amd64 CPU’s have? In the end, cores use energy and more clock uses energy. So unless there is a massive IPC improvement, ARM should be close in terms of energy consumption to an equivilently powerfull amd64 CPU.
The benefit i could see would maybe be the ability to cluster them more easily and having smaller, lower power chips with less performance, but more of them. But this should be doable with amd64 CPU’s too.

Or is there something else i’m missing? I mean smartphones are also down to single day Battery life, now that chips got more powerfull. And that’s often only because of aggressive powermanagement of the OS. And there are also amd64 CPU’s out there that can get all day batterylife.
Plus, i’ve actually tried Samsung Dex on my S10. Latest and greatest. And it’s far off even entry level i3’s in performance. Not to mention that, as soon as you use the desktop on the S10, you’re down to 2-3 hours of batterylife tops without a charger attached.

So what’s the great benefit here?

That’s just awful… I’m glad I moved away from ja*%

I’m also curious, I’m just hype boi for underdogs

My point is: moarr competition1!!1!

ARM introducing itself as a top dog would eventually bring powerisa and other RISC chips to the main table.

1 Like

Well if oracle could actually makeomething that isn’t a locked up turd, then cool.

Legacy support.

Intel and AMD CPUs are lumbered with having to include and support legacy parts of the CPU for sometimes rarely used tasks. ARM is a RISC arch and is very pared down in comparison. So can consume far less power because it is not including old stuff that takes up power, space and makes the routing of instructions physically longer.

On top of that ARM tends to be more adaptable to massive parallelisation. So you can just throw far more cores in the same space as traditional CPUs use less power and work through the work load (if adapted correctly) very quickly even with lower clocks.

Though I am in no way actually knowledgeable on his, that is just what I glean from looking into it everything the subject comes up.

1 Like

Oracle is more unapologetically evil than Facebook. Larry makes Zuck look like Gandhi.

That said, it’s a mere $40m investment in a chip company comprising <20% of its shares, so not sure why anyone cares, other than hating on Oracle which I enthusiastically applaud.

Could have fooled me! If there was a “give gold” equivalent on this forum I would have gifted. I don’t understand the ARM hype either, so thanks for those nuggets of knowledge.

I am not so hype for it, frankly this does not impact in any visible wag on my.life or use of computers so it means nothing to me.

That said if people can do cool shit with something different I like to see where and how that goes. Maybe we get another Itanium or we might get another zen.

I am hyped for more competition in the CPU world rather than specifically ARM. The more options the better in my mind.

(Although I am on the list for an ARM laptop.)

1 Like

Well there’s ARM, and then there’s ARM.

The ARM company designs and builds a bunch of SoCs itself, with names generally starting with Cortex, like the Cortex-A75. This chip is used by Qualcomm in their semi-custom Kryo 385 SoC. Cheaper asian phones tend to use them too.

ARM also licenses the ARM instruction set, as opposed to actual SoC chip designs. That’s what Samsung uses for Exynos, Apple for A*, and Qualcomm for Snapdragon. These are completely custom chips designed by Samsung/Apple/etc, much like the AMD Zen is a custom design that implements the x86 instruction set. That’s why you see such wide variance in performance and power utilization across Android and Apple mobile devices.

So actually there’s much more competition inside ARM than you might think.

2 Likes

Theoretically, cost, power efficiency and a more open architecture. (not that it’s open source, but that it’s license-able by anyone)