Optimize 8320 for passthrough?

For some reason I’m getting lag on Age of Empires 2 offline with hd 5850 and 16 gb of ram given to vm. Pretty sure that’s more than enough. Quake 3 works without any lag if that’s an indicator. VM OS is running off an ssd baremetal install.

Diablo 3 used to stutter at regular intervals with a r9 280 instead of hd 5850, rest of configuration is the same.

I have a feeling my cpu stuff is off in virt manager. I have set it in in different configs under Opteron g5 with 6/1/1, 6/1/6, 8/1/1, and all give same results.

Anybody know what model or other crap to tweak to have better cpu performance with that 8320? I get the same issues with pci-stub or with vfio passthrough.

Thanks.

Update:

This seemed to work…

Hypervisor default
1/8/1

Still looking for better performance if possible

You have an opteron?

I believe this is his cpu.

AMD FX 8320. Got the same cpu on my old pc. Maybe you need the ntp bug fix, or is that only ryzen?

I spent about 2 weeks trying to optimize my 8350 trying every combination of tweeks I could find in forums and mailing lists with little avail. I got it to a point were it could play some games but perfomance was mediocre at best. I just had to bite the financial bullet and upgrade.

From my experience I would say that the 8320 is not good enough (altough, on paper, it seems like it should be) to play games via PCI passthrough. I really should have documented what I tested but sadly didn’t. Appologies for not being any help at all, but I may save you some pain trying to get this working.

Best of luck with it. If you mange to get it running well let me know.

1 Like

Well if you apply the npt patch it’ll fix all your fps and stuttering issues. Well I think at least.

For me playing League of Legends on aram (Which is most intense map so far) has about 80 - 120 FPS depending on intensity of the scene and no noticeable stutter.

I have the same CPU, FX 8320 @ 4.5 Ghz and I have 2 - 7 pinned cpu(count from 0) to my guest + vfio passthrough on my RX 480.

I leave 0 and 1 for the host system for background task and other stuff(smb, plex, zfs etc…).

These cpu’s (2-7) are isolated from the host system. It’s something to try out.

Below are benchmarks I did before and after NPT patch. Sample size of 1 out of 5 for either the test.
Also I used shitty version GT 640 , this was before I made my server with virtualization as my main rig.

Before NPT Patch:

After NPT Patch:

1 Like