Opinions on Ergonomic Mice and keyboards?

Hey guys, Looking to get a new mouse and maybe keyboard and I was wondering if anyone here uses an ergonomic mouse in daily use, seeing if it is worth investing in one, what peoples experiences were of them.

Same goes for keyboards, I have been thinking of using an ergonomic keyboard.

I was looking at this model of mouse: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Vertical-Ergonomic-prevention-Computer/dp/B00JODVD5K/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=ergonomic&qid=1569853225&s=electronics&sr=1-5

I used to daily wave keyboards… takes some getting used to. In the end I just came back to standard shapes and sizes…

I never tried one of those ergo mice but… for 12 yuros I have to wonder if its really ‘ergonomic’. I suppose thats cheap enough for you to try and see if it makes sense. I wouldnt count on it being any better than a standard mouse.

2 Likes

That is the very mouse I’m using right now. I have two wireless mice on my desk. One is the vertical one and a more regular mouse.

What I do is swap between them every few days. So once my wrist starts hurting with the one I swap to the other.

As for my keyboard, well I have finally found “My Perfect” keyboard after many different ones over the last couple of years. I have tried Logitech, CherryMX mechanical, Apple, an IBM/Lenovo keyboard. But finally, I have got an IBM M2 from 1992. I don’t care that it’s not ergonomic as the typing feel is so right and positive. I worked at IBM back in the '90s and it takes me right back.

Imgur
Please excuse the desk clutter.

1 Like

The Kinesis Advantage 2 is awesome, but it’s expensive and also kinda sucks for gaming.

I ended up returning mine just because I have to use a MacBook Pro for work and it felt too weird going back and forth between keyboards. But if you do all your typing on one computer I’d highly recommend it. And if you do any gaming, you can just get a separate keypad.

I know a couple people that love those vertical mice, but they didn’t help me at all. I daily a Razer Naga Trinity (normal Naga is the same shape, just no swap-able sides) because it’s the only mouse that consistently keeps the pain away. Most mice are too cramped. The Naga has a nice hump to it and it helps keep fingers spread apart.

Relevant thread:

1 Like

Mice:

Vertical mice can be bothersome. Pressing the mousebuttons needs to be counteracted with your thumb. It can be hard to keep the mouse in a spot while clicking and especially when doubleclicking.

I’d personally highly suggest a trackball over a vertical mouse. I have the MX Ergo and two Kensigton Trackballs. Well worth the price. If thumb Trackballs work, the MX Ergo is a really solid option.
I’d also keep a normal mouse around. More important than having one perfect option is to switch it up every now and then. Prevents you from doing the same movements over and over. So, at work i have the MX Ergo and an 1st gen MX Master. I’ll switch between them daily.

Keyboards:

Tough one. Get the Natural Ergonomic from Microsoft. It’s the only cheap option to find out if a split board is an option for you. Not everyone can work with that.
The Kinesis Advantage is an incredible board, just much to expensive. Also, look at how you type. If you type heavy handed and bottom out, crisp mechanical switches might not be the best for your joints.

If you want a split board, i’d recommend looking into the Kinesis edge and Matias Ergo Pro. Both have a “regular” layout but independent halves. Anything beyond that is so personal and expensive that i won’t recommend something and will just say: Don’t buy without trying. Non-Staggered keys, curved boards and especially switches can be very, very personal. For example the Function keys on the Kinesis are atrocious.
A middle ground option can be the ErgoDox EZ. Certainly expensive, but easy to resell if you don’t like it.
The same goes for Topre Boards. They are softer than MX-Style keys since they are rubber-dome. They are better for your hands if you bottom out. They are also hella expensive.

TL:DR: Get the Natural Ergonomic to try a split board. After that, don’t buy anything without trying it for some time and plan on spending 200$ Plus for any decent “ergonomic” option.