OpenVPN cannot access FreeNAS share when traveling

So what am I newb’in hard on? My FreeNAS is on my LAN, typical 192.168.1.*, and when I VPN in via OpenVPN to my pfSense router, my laptop will now have a 10.x.x.x ip address. I can use vsphere client, Plex, Splunk etc, I can get into any of my boxes at home when VPN’ed in, so I don’t think its a firewall rule, but I can’t get into my SMB shares when on the road. What am I derp’in?

Does your samba config allow connections from your 10.x.x.x subnet?

1 Like

I do not see where this can be set in the SMB or the Storage menus.

I don’t know where bsd typically puts its config files, but you must have an smb.conf file somewhere ( mine is /etc/samba/smb.conf, but that’s debian). And in that conf, there is a “hosts allow” (samba conf man page) which would let you add something like

hosts allow  = 192.168.1.* 10.8.0.*

How are you trying to connect to the shares? Network discovery won’t work if you’re not on the same subnet and dns may not work either for resolving host names. So you may have to manually connect to the share using the IP address of the server.

Huh, fails when trying //IPaddress/Folder, or with smb://IPaddress/. The former at least got a user account and password challenge- I must be getting it wrong because it fails to connect.

This atleast means it’s not a network problem. Sometimes you have to put in a domain as well, so if there’s a domain box put in the host name of the server if not put in the user in the form of server/user (or \ I can never remember which is which). The way users work on Windows is a bit dumb and sometimes you need to tell it what server the user is on otherwise it will try to log in with a local user account.

2 Likes