OpenStack VDI

Hello all! I am new hear to the forum but excited to be here, long time fan of the youtube channel. I am writing this post to hear some thoughts from other people about using Openstack to host a ~400-600 session VDI environment. To elaborate further, I work for university and we are currently using Citrix to deliver a ~350 concurrent session VDI environment. We are currently looking at redoing that whole system as the hardware it is on is old and the software could have been setup a bit better. So my question to the community is what are y’all’s thoughts on using OpenStack to host VDI, has anyone here done that? Would love to hear any experiences around using and implementing OpenStack in a production environment. Secondly, it would be a huge help to also get some input on hardware recommendations on server gear to run all this. Currently we are torn between blade and node based servers. Specific to our situation, the university operated a small data center on site, so rack space cost and wattage are not points of concern for this. Thanks in advance!

Our current infrastructure that runs our VDI is 392 logical processors (thread count, so 192 actual cores), 20tb of ram (we use non persistent sessions so storage isn’t a big concern), and 3tb of ram. That is totals for the whole cluster. Our sessions are 2vcpu and 4gb ram each.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.