OpenGL DirectX

So am I wrong in saying that I've been under the assumption that OpenGL uses the bare hardware, while DirectX functions mostly at the software/OS level? If that makes sense.

That is what I thought too, since it sounds like directx has been able to work outside of windows, even if it was flakey. 

I thought directX was just a set of default that made it a lot easier to make something that looks nice, but eventually everything will look a lot alike? opengl ftw 

No man, that's your fault not the game's. You're used to spraying and spraying cannot be predicted anymore in csgo, not to the same extent at least. In Source, the player, while not as roughly controllable as in Goldsrc, can still get the same bhopping and aircontrol like in hl1, look at fortress forever.

NO DON'T LISTEN TO HIM, GET YOUR OWN DAMN OPINION. In fact, listen to me, I know what's good for you! Get Windows Vista and play Games for Windows Live ports on directx, you'll have so much fun you will die.

Most new "modern" games look a like (like crap) because they copy each other, they leave the art design to marketers (shiny everythings, filters everywhere, bbbb-bloody screen! so real) and they actually (semi)plagiarize art (visual, not so much from textures, but there's plenty of look-alikes on boxes, on concept art, menus etc.). The perfect example of trying too hard and not succeeding (look at duke nukem forever)

Honestly dude, I have tried moving over to Linux. I have tried using *Wine to its fullest extent and it has failed in so many ways. There is no way you are going to get a rendering program like 3DS Max to run on linux in its current form. I have tried and even after getting the software to run in ubuntu, The viewport refused to work, Rendering was slow (Rather than a 4 hour render, Make that 30 hours) And it was full of errors, artifacts and such. 

Running a virtual OS is completly bonkers. Not only do they not support DirectX which is a huge problem for me and many other people, Why the hell would I use Ubuntu to run a Virtual Machine that cant run all my 3D aplications and has so many more complications. 

I have also tried running 3D aplications as potential alternatives on Ubuntu, Nope. Even native openGL programs have refused to work for me. Hell, Even a simple game like Minecraft would not start. And dont tell me that I dont know what im doing, I have worked in the computer industry for years. 

The comment on Adobe, They may be a poor company, But for professional industries, there is no alternative at this time for many of their products. Dont mention things like gimp or any other of that rubbish, They dont hold the same support and features that say Adobe Photoshop Extended has. If I wanted to move to linux, I would end up with 3 different pieces of software just to do 50% of what I did in Photoshop Extended and the rest I would have to live without or build my own scripts and plugins. Which is not an option because I would be working at it for years to fill in the features I use every day.

The only reason to be scared of DRM is if you are a pirate. Sure its not nice to have to validate to prove you own the software but once you do it, You never see the DRM again untill you reinstall. Cloud? Sure, I hate cloud software. It will bring the downfall of communities like this as we move away from Personal Computers toward Personal Terminal Interfaces. In this case I fully support Linux. It cant come soon enough but it is still not there yet. I cant move over to something that would make it impossible for me to do my work and play my games.

I argue for and against Linux, I try to be as unbiased as I can, I argue with people who say linux is not a good os because it cant do all sorts of things because I believe Linux has a bright future. I also argue against people like you who are all for linux but dont understand that people dont want to battle against an os that dosent support industry standard software and dosent support majority of the hardware on the market. One driver for all graphics cards is not support.  

I have tried selling machines to people with Ubuntu installed as a "Cheap Alternative to Windows" In 3 months out of a good 40 computers, 1 had Ubuntu pre Installed.

There are different people out there. They all have needs and wants. If you want Linux to take over, Dont market towards those like me who are power user, Developers as we already know about Linux and Ubuntu. We use it for our servers and it has its place in our heart but for a personal computer it just isnt there yet. Market it towards people who arnt power users, People who Check emails, Surf lol cats and facebook and dont care about the computer. They are the masses, They are the ones who are the target of corperations. They use Windows and Macs. They are the ones you want to bring over to linux first because once they are over, Everyone else will follow. 

If you get all developers over to ubuntu, What would hapen? You would not see much more happen. General PC users will just see it as software that professionals use, they dont need it. Get the General PC market over to Ubuntu, They you have something. Suddenly there is an interest in Ubuntu, people who support apple will move over because its the "New Thing" Software will start being developed for Ubuntu on a larger scale. It is not time for me to move, But its time for general users to change.

a HUD

I'll be honest, yeah I am a bit of a fanboy when it comes to OpenGL.

OpenGL wins.

Congratulations! You just won the internet!

Sagan would be disappointed.

The fact is, Sagan would already have been extremely disappointed with humanity right now. After he died it seemed as if the world started to turn for the worse. Constant coverage of wars and progranda to create a war machine instead of a Science based industry America.

This would have been such a nice rant. Except that aren't you the one who is promoting the same awful world with your fanboyish ignorant and falseful statements such as in this post? Lets starts pointing fingers at yourself then at the other people. Otherwise, noone takes serious word of the hypocrite. As I said, Sagan would have been disappointed.

Clearly, ActionScript wins...