Open Suse Tumbleweed [Solved]

You mean you can't get past the window manager, or can you not log in via a TTY session?

Root works because its root, doesn't give a shit. It essentially forces an improperly set up DE to load anyway, come what may.

locales are a piece of cake to change, post install. Literally a one liner.

If you need help just get a thread started.

You mean you can't get past the window manager, or can you not log in via a TTY session?

Yes the WM.

Root works because its root, doesn't give a shit. It essentially forces an improperly set up DE to load anyway, come what may.

Yup..

locales are a piece of cake to change, post install. Literally a one liner.

So fucking what?
If I tell the god damn installer to do en_gb language + finnish keyboard and locales then I expect it to do what I tell it to do.
Like I said: "openSUSE has a lot of nice things going for it from what I've read (engineering and whatnot) but the user experience is just.."
No wonder openSUSE isn't that popular.

If you need help just get a thread started.

That VM is long gone.

Haven't had good experiences with Tumbleweed so far. I tried installing it a few times around the release of Leap 42.1, and another few times about 6 months later. Most of the time it wouldn't boot at all, only once did I get to a bash shell, at which point trying to launch a desktop triggered a slew of errors about conflicting library versions. Absolutely pathetic for how well-tested they claim the distro to be, though if mine was the common experience there's no way they'd get away with it.

I'm now trying again, this time on my laptop. Why am I giving TW so many chances? Because what it offers is sort of the holy grail of Linux in my eyes: Opensuse tools on a rolling release distro. I enjoyed opensuse back in the 12.x and 13.x days, but after spending a bunch of time on arch it's hard to go back to a long release cycle like Leap.

2 Likes