Open Source Overview: Krita Illustration Software | Level One Techs

Kdenlive is WAY too busted for real work, I like it for small stuff though.

2 Likes

I just downloaded Krita and can't wait to try it. Great job in front of the camera @kreestuh!

Another program I love is ArtRage because the tools 'feel' very natural like painting. The UX is strange though, maybe a little too much out of the way (I'm used to Pshop). I thought it was open source because it came with my Wacom tablet, but they do have a free demo (you can't save) for Mac & PC, a Lite version for $30 and the current version of ArtRage 5 is $80. It's cheap but it ain't free.

1 Like

Note: I am not an artist, more of a pixel tinkerer.

I like gimp, i've never really used photoshop much though. Its probably like blender/3dsmax. If you learn on one you'll hate the ui of the other starting out.

Inkscape though (having taken a class on graphic design that revolved entirely around illustrator) is a competent approximation of illustrator. I like Vector stuff, the versatility of being able to scale up with no loss of detail is nice.

As far as video editing (i'm just getting into video editing) i'm liking shotcut. Doesn't seem to shit a brick when working with moderately long videos like the others I played around with did.

audio stuff... audacity has worked, haven't really ever found an excuse to look for anything else.

1 Like

Gimp is mostly good for image editing. The Gimp 2.9 Beta has features that Photoshop doesn't have, but it still doesn't have high end CMYK or NDE.

2 Likes

there's a set of plugins (on *buntu i think the package name is gimp-plugin-registry) all sorts of neat batch operation stuff that has been handy for me.

Ever since gimp added the single window interface option i've been pretty happy with it.

what sort of features does 2.9 have that photoshop doesnt?

Yeah. That said, color managment isn't nice on linux or crossplat in general. takes a lot of fiddling to get right.
also:

PSA TO ANYONE USING GIMP

install the G'MIC plugin, and thank me later.

2 Likes

G'MIC <3

They have nice film emulation luts. If you run vector art that has a 70's or 80's style to it like Lupin III, it looks just like cel animation.

2 Likes

I do OCV scripting for some of my ML work, and G'MIC makes that much, much easier for non-technical people.

They do have some dank ass look up tables though, for sure. the batch processing isn't super-efficient though, hence my preference the raw OCV scripting.

1 Like

Blender Guru and Rodshakker are pretty good resources as well.

1 Like

I like to mix GIMP and DigiKam for enhancing and editing photo's.
drawing and painting used to be a mix of GIMP and Inkscape but since mid april i am trying krita and its growing on me, as soon as i have a good drawing i will put it on my deviant art place
@kreestuh clicking with the mouse wheel changes the cursor to a hand symbol and then you can drag the canvas to your position of choices

2 Likes

Gimp's great for photos, but I think Krita beats it in drawing at the moment.

I made this on a welfare Smartphone, (it was literally welfare, Cintex Wireless) it could only shoot jpeg and I didn't even have a tripod. What I did was I propped it up on a bridge with a lamp post and I tried my best to get the multiple jpeg exposures steady and I failed, but it was ok because I was able to line it up in gimp and I exported each layer as PNG to minimize the generational loss and I used enfuse to merge to a 32-bit tiff (even though it was kinda overkill) and I played with it in in gimp 2.9 and I did all I could to bring back those shadows, but some started to show artefacting, so I used the smudge too to cover it up and bam! I got one hell of an exposure blended sunrise. though when the pictures were taken, it wasn't twilight, it was actually somewhat bright out, my camera just sucked, so it needed more light.

1 Like

Will look into Krita, looks good so far.
I have been using Serif DrawPlus 8 for the longest time and am pretty happy with it.
First aspect I noticed was the similarity to DrawPlus. It looks like someone moved one or two things arround, made the frame darker and "pre-expanded" the tools on the left.

Controls are a different story. Mousewheel zooms in and out (meh), crtl+mousewheel does some funky stuff (probably color picker?), shift+mousewheel does nothing, etc. In other words, I am very confused as to what is going on.

As said, will have to put much more time into Krita to get a hang of it. Because do not judge software after the first hour!

Hi,
I appreciate very much this kind of videos from Level1Tech team ( @wendell, Krista,...) although I'm not a designer or have any aspirations in so.
So I'd like to give a tip for one next video on the Open Source theme: Qubes OS Website
Seems a nice idea for OS and I have interest in using it for daily driver at home. Like for using 1 windows 10, 1 debian and 1 experimental OS for the joy, while accessing in the same machine banks, buy stuff online, reading, browsing, game.
So it will be great if you give it a look and make a video.
Take care.

Krita is a really nice open source paint program that uses KDE. It is also quite nice for creating tiled pixel art as well.

Another open source paint program that I like to use is MyPaint, which has less features than Krita, but it is entirely focused on the digital painting aspect. I also like the 'infinite canvas' that MyPaint has, it is a nice choice for freeflow painting with a drawing tablet. Though the Linux version is generally better than the Windows version.

If you want to add an animation program to that collection, I highly suggest OpenToonz.

OpenToonz is a really interesting animation program, it actually started development in the early '90s under the name 'Toonz' and was originally designed to work with the IRIX operating system for Silicon Graphics workstations, but was later ported to the Windows platform.

Toonz was used by companies like Studio Ghibli on animated movies like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle and others. Rough Draft Studios also used it for Futurama. Steven Spielberg's old animation companies even used in films like Balto and Anastasia. Steven Universe currently uses Toonz/ OpenToonz.

The program went open source in 2016 and has an amazing amount of animation features, including raster, vector, raster to vector conversion, tweening, skeleton based animation, mesh animation tool, effects plug-ins and other things. You won't find a more complete open source animation program. It had roughly 24 years of development time and continues on in open source development.

I use OpenToonz in Linux and it works great. But the Mac and Windows versions are very functional as well.

1 Like

Yes, it does.

Krita has taken over as my go to drawing app on all platforms. Gimp is good, but not nearly is user friendly or easy to pick up. Runs like the wind and works with even the cheaper chinese Huion tablets without a fuss.

The only time I have issues with krita is when I have display issues everywhere.

This video makes me wonder what other open source apps I've been using that might do for a review,

1 Like

So, Krita is in financial trouble… Good news is 2018 will be devoted to stability and polish.
https://krita.org/en/item/krita-foundation-in-trouble/

And here is an update. Apparently, PIA has come with a bag of money to go along with all the private donations. You go PIA! https://krita.org/en/item/krita-foundation-update/

3 Likes

I wonder how far Krita’s gone, last time I tried the program, It didn’t work well for me so I was stuck with Manga Studio 5 for a good while.

looks like they hit their funding goal and then some to pay off the fine.

good on them.

2 Likes

I had a gut feeling OpenToonz seemed familiar.

How long ago did you use it?