Open Source Laptop - MNT Reform

Me: gets into open source because it’s free
Also me: pays $1500 for a $600 laptop

5 Likes

Especially the Librem 5 USA.

God DAMN.

Like I know there will be a higher pricetag until they can start selling enough units to make up for the extra manufacturing cost, but that’s a hard pill to swallow when even a maxed out iPhone is $500 less.

1 Like

Especially for the performance.

My understanding is that it’s not fully featured either yet.

I’m not 100% up to speed on this yet and I don’t have one yet (probably gonna get one shortly)

1 Like

I’ll sell you the t400 for $250 :wink:

1 Like

lol no

My perception is the same. And it’s really a shame, because if I remember correctly is was originally advertised that it was supposed to be fully-functional by the time they started shipping units, but it’s still in kind of a beta state; it’s not ready to be a daily driver yet unless you’re willing to deal with some things just not working.

I could understand there being some bugs, or if it wasn’t well-optimized so the performance wasn’t that great, but at this point I’m really glad my pre-order didn’t go through. It sounds like another over-hyped mainstream-alternative dud, except I believe they do intend on carrying it out to a finished product. But will it be too late by then?

Back to the laptop.

I could have sworn I had another reply here, but I can’t find it. I might have just been drunk and rambling a lot and then decided to delete most of the post.

I would be really tempted to buy it with my Trump Bucks, but I’m worried about performance. Everything else (mech keyboard, trackball, no webcam or mic, etc.) sounds awesome. I want it to be my daily laptop. But I can’t justify paying the price if it’s not even able to keep up with my T420.

I’m tempted to buy the HoneyComb LX2K with my trump bucks.

It’d be nice to try out some serious arm stuff. The main issue with a lot of the ARM boards out there is they fall victim to the idea that 4 ARM cores is enough. IMO, 8 ARM cores isn’t enough, especially when you’re trying to multitask. Youtube video going on monitor 2 while you’re writing code? welcome to 99% CPU usage.

2 Likes