Open source in goverments

I recently came across this video from the European Free Software Foundation’s promotion for mandating open source development when using public funds in the EU:

This got me thinking, what is the current stance of different governments on open source?

2 Likes

EU - European Commision

Open source strategy - I don’t know exactly what to make of this.

USA - Federal Government

The USA Federal government currently has a 20% open source requirement. [Federal Source Code Policy]

This policy also establishes a pilot program that requires agencies, when commissioning new custom software, to release at least 20 percent of new custom-developed code as Open Source Software (OSS) for three years

and publishes source code at code.gov.

USA - Military

There are some hints of the Navy having open source requirements. [FCW Article] However, I saw some commenting that the Navy might have a different definition of open source, and besides, I don’t know where to look for something official.

I saw this somewhere regarding fixing the bluetooth vulnerability with public money but it’s closed source software. I think there is a real issue here that public money should go into open source software.
I mean our government’s security is in the hands of Microsoft for the most part anyway. How scary is that :slight_smile:

This weeks L1 News triggered me again on voting machines. If there not open source and people can prove there secure. Why ever trust them at all. If there ever secured to a good standard and testable then the whole planet we are stuck on can benefit and Russia may help secure the open source code.

Meh, support capitalism. Let people make money.

2 Likes

True we’re all doomed by pure greed is all :slight_smile: DNA does not lie it survives.