Open-Source Alternatives?

This thread is to pose the question, "I use (x) software, which is available for PC and Mac, but I want to install a linux(-based) partition. Which software will work best?"

Basically, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium. I enjoy W7. It's easy to use since I've been using it all my life (XP, Vista, and 7) but I'm going to be partitioning off some space for a Linux partition (likely Ubuntu) and I want to know which open-source alternative will work just like the current [insert brand name] software I'm using on Windows.

I use the following programs frequently:

• Adobe Photoshop
  • Adobe AfterEffects
  • Bandicam
  • uTorrent
  • Steam
  • Various Emulators

I also happen to play many games, which are likely unsupported by Linux (BF3, Borderlands 2, B. Ops 2, Dishonored, NFS: Most Wanted, Mirror's Edge, Skyrim, etc) which is why I was only going to partition Linux and not do a full-system install.

So, what alternatives are there? 

http://alternativeto.net/

Adobe Photoshop - Gimp but it sucks just use photoshop in wine.

Adobe AfterEffects - They all suck

Bandicam - No games for linux

utorrent - qtorrent

steam - steam

various emulators - various emulators (they are often opensource zsnes and so on)

The partioning thing never works because why reboot into linux after gaming when you can just use windows and do everything linux does.

Bandicam is a screen recorder.

Anyway, I was just hoping there were alternatives so I could finally be free of Microshaft Winblows.

why reboot into linux after gaming when you can just use windows and do everything linux does.

True. I guess I should just suck it up.

free of Microshaft Winblows.

I for one welcome our glorious over lords. Nothing like bsod in the morning to give you that fresh fml feeling.

lol, i use gimp on winblows because i cant get shit done in photoshop. yes you have to "relearn" some stuff, but gimp > photoshop in a lot of ways.

• Adobe Photoshop=Gimp or ps in wine
  • Adobe AfterEffects=After effects in wine
  • Bandicam=Kazam screencaster
  • uTorrent=Transmission
  • Steam=Steam (possibly under wine for more games)
  • Various Emulators=Google whatever console emulator followed by the word "linux"
    And why does it have to be Open-Source? You just listed a bunch of propriatary, drm ridden programs you use on a non-free(as in freedom) OS and seem to not care about them being Open-Scource and/or free (as in freedom)

And why does it have to be Open-Source?

I thought that anything released for Linux was Open-Source.

You just listed a bunch of propriatary, drm ridden programs you use on a non-free(as in freedom) OS and seem to not care about them being Open-Scource and/or free (as in freedom)

One, OS came pre-installed. Two, torrents FTW.

Linux has heaps of screen recorders.

Yeah Gimp is a bit better than photo shop just that it works different, It's less idiot proof so if you stop thinking for a second it will try to screw you and a bunch of it's features are buried. It also likes to let you change things to very unreasonable levels where you may be able too increase something in photoshop by 200% Gimp is all for letting you change it by 1200%. I'd really advise using windows for video editing and mainstream gaming. As to open source. There is plenty of free to use software that is not open source for linux but usually there is a open source version and those end up being better having a larger team behind them. "Usually!" Some things get a big team behind them just to cause a bigger wreck...

Already installed Ubuntu. I'll live with not using After Effects and PS. Also, PS allows up to 3200% maximum zoom. Just so you know. ;)

Here is a good starting point for searching for decent OpenSource software. I have no clue when the last time it was updated, I think there are some dead links there now but, worth a look.

http://osswin.sourceforge.net/

I've often thought about using this site as a reference to put together another similar site.

found paint.net is just as nice too, lightweight and uses minimal resources. Unfortunately there is no linux version.

Gimp is awesome for photo editing and is VERY easy to use with Unity's dash. You click a button and search for what you want to do. Not many good video editors for Linux though so just run a Windows 7 VM with After Effects installed. There is Steam for Linux or you can try Desura, it helps a lot of indie developers aswell. Kazam is pretty good for screen recording. You can try qBitTorrent, Deluge or Transmisson for torrents. Just search for a emulator that you want with "Linux" at the end, for instance I found THIS emulator that I found in 5 seconds for Playstation 1 games. You can try running games in WINE or just run them in VirtualBox. 

FYI: Not all software for Linux is open-source. Also, not all open-source software is free. Open-source just means that the source comes packaged with the software. For instance, I could make a game and charge $50 for it and give you the source with it so it then will be open-source but not free. Hope you enjoy Ubuntu! Which version did you installed and are you liking it so far? 

For emulators you might want to look into Retro Arch.  It's a cross compatible emulator framework that has the capacity to emulate...

• GBA
  • PSX
  • NES
  • SNES
  • Genesis
  • Master System
  • Sega CD

It's available for...

• Linux (x86 and x86_64)
  • Windows (32bit/64bit)
  • Mac OSX (PPC/Intel)
  • Android