Open or closed cases

Hello,

I have a question about servers and cooling. I have built a my home a crypto currency mine that must be moved in order for it to expand. Lucky for me a tenant of a wear house is retiring this month so I am planning on moving my equipment there and then expanding. Currently, my miners are built in 4U server cases that do not cost me much more than the completely open rigs you see in videos. I have also notice a lot of miners simply lay the equipment on shelves, which I can not do because the fire marshal will lose his mind. I am curious to get your opinions on the benefits of cons of continuing to build in 4U server cases as opposed to completely open rigs as it relates to heat.

IMG_0009
Thanks Everyone

rack chassis are not designed to lay open. they keep cool much better closed.

for custom layouts, dunno, i’m sure it depends :slight_smile:

Keep the cases shut and the intake/exhaust fans going as fast as they go. The style of cards in the pictures exhaust their heat into the case, and are designed with case airflow in mind. They rely on case fans to move the hot air away and feed cool air in. Cards as such work best with more airflow, and fast case fans quickly moving the air away is the best way to do that. Keeping the case shut allows the intake fans to keep the air moving between the cards efficiently, and allows the exhaust fans to move the exhausted hot air out the back of the chassis quickly

So sorry I should have added more pictures. I did not mean leaving the 4U server cases open. I would obviously seal them and stack them in cages. When I was talking about open cages I ment these.

Open Case

My question is am I going to have a better heating solution with real 4U server cases or open designes like the one shown here.

Thanks again.