OP9 Day One Impressions

Here I will note about my new phone, a OnePlus 9 (Non PRO Non T). Here are the specs:

SD 888+ / 8GB RAM
128GB UFS 3.1 - NO SD EXPANSION
T-Mobile, Unlockable to GSM Generic Networks (2yr unlock contract)
Hasselblad 2+1 ETS (50MP Main, 48MP wide, 2MP Macro with color/distance) with Dual Color Flash
65 Watt OPPO Charger w/ USB C2C cable that you could commit murder with and not break it

First 2 Hours with the Device: In a meager attempt to be careful when I was exhausted last night when getting the device, I mostly kept it in the box. This will be the first time since either my Optimus G or maybe Moto Z3 Play that I have gotten a top tier phone. So, I kept it in the box both to keep it safe when I didn’t think I’d hold onto it very well, being worried about the coating, and to just get used to the whole, hey look, you own a nice thing.

I felt fatigued very quickly by how much I had to set up though. One thing I definitely appreciate about Ubuntu phones is the ability to use DD to squirt whatever install you want into the device. When I can do that with an android phone off the shelf, I’ll shid my pants.

At the end of these 2 hours I set alarms and went to bed.

AM Use and Up To Getting Home: The alarms are LOUD. IDK if its the speakers, but leaning the phone against a window made it piercingly loud and woke me up after 4 and a half hours of sleep. (I had a long night)

From here, I had an appt this morning, and a call to attend. I went to the appointment, which is what I set all the alarms for, and the clock UI is a LOT cleaner than default I must say. I most of the time miss the AM PM dingus because its almost a background button in the default google app, but in the OP one its basically BOLD, which I like.

I was expecting it to be too bright to my eyes early in the morning, but it seems the HDR capability of the screen makes it sensitive enough to not do that as bad as my V20. The M2 doesn’t get the bright.

When I had to attend the call, it worked fine. Actually my Wifi died and the phone slipped into 5G and didn’t drop the bullshit call app, which I actually have never seen before. IDK if the phone has something DNS wise in software that makes that smooth, but that app is very touchy (its a webapp made in webassem that is a clone of MS teams).

When I tried to call someone though, TMobile had swapped my number to some other phone onb our plan thats in the mail rn. So if you get one and have another phone on your plan in the mail, DON’T TAKE THE SIM TRAY OUT, THERES NO SD SLOT TRUST ME.

After all that I bought weed and went home.

The other devices I have on hand are an AT&T Motivate 2 (Samsung A02S or maybe a TCL Generic, possibly a nokia, I’ve really only been basing this off the display as each of these devices have different camera systems, but the same internal hardware) that has been my wifi phone and music device (don’t get one for a music device trust me), an LG V20 that I recently got for 30USD Used with a needy screen (fucking steal tbh), and I have recently used an iphone 7. While yes, the only phone sort of comparable is the V20, maybe, each of these devices have enough power underneath to AI edit the photo to look ok enough.

I will post photos in a little bit, but between each of the devices listed above, the OP9 and the V20 are closest in competition, in my opinion. And to an effect, I want to use the V20 strictly as a camera. The iphone comes in second, and the at&t doesn’t bother to compete as its just a basic cmos sensor.

For camera use, I think the OP9 will be fine, better than I thought actually, and I think that probably says a lot being that I have been comparing to a V20 and haven’t been satisfied with literally anything. But each of these devices compete close enough for what I do that really its down to what you want your video to look like, or the light balance performance for your given need.

The OP9 DOESN’T have a headphone jack, which both the ATT M2 and V20 have, the V20 in fact having a separate audio circuit that usurps the SOC completely (which actually frees up enough CPU cycles to make an SD820 and an SD 888+ kind of race each other). iPhones are a meme.

The screen wowed me and my sister both. 120hz is def the future, not sure about LTPO tho.

1 Like