OP 3990x

Hi, im new to the forum, not shure if this topic has been covered yet. Im not a gamer but i am a developer, 3d content. i do some game modding but aiming for indi dev soon… my day job is cad work and college work towards IT degree.

My current system is alienware ryzen edition aurora10. with 3950x , 128gb ram , radeon vii , 2tb nvme, 3x4tb ssd 5tbhdd… as a designer of 3d content and animation of virtual sets, and video editing… im always running out of storage and rendering time is core dependant. Im working on a build using a threadripper 3990x , i need suggestions for a build that will allow for maximum storage. my gpu is a champ, so dont need better yet. maybe like to run either a dual boot or deul boot with arch. which motherboard , powersupply should i go with?

Woah! Mr. Moneybags over here, throwing dough like it’s going out of style.

My recommendations: ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha TRX40 and a Seasonic Gold PSU.

I gotta ask though, you should have 19 TB of secondary storage with your current system. You’re one tier away from maxing out your primary storage at 256 GB if you go for Threadripper.

What are you doing with all that space? Are the files you’re reading into memory really that big?

If your concern is just storing newly processed data, wouldn’t it be more efficient to buy a NAS and write a script that dumps data to it routinely?

well, mostly my secondary storage is at 17tb. the 3990x is needed for max core count. i was doing some rendering using a beowulf cluster , raspberry pi type. but kinda want it all in on place. maximum storage is needed due to the sheer volume of content i dealwith. from work, school, 3d stuff and my own vast library… i just wanted to know what is possible… howmany nvme can i stack on. 4tb sabrent rockets, and howmany sata slots will be left working? i sold my stock shares and i can do a no holds build.

GO enterprise PCIE ssd, they are quite large and given you have some budget a good route to go

This might be a crazy suggestion but how about the liqid AIC Composable Storage SSD? Wendell was all praises about it and it really does not have any competition. A bit pricey, probably. But it might not be an issue for ya.

1 Like

holy crap batman! yea that thing would be on the wish list. I was just gonna use a asus pcie raid card with 4x4tb sabrent rockets… 16tb raid. but that thing goes up to 32!.. how many Pcie raid cards can be deployed on a threadripper board?

another challenge has been the case, I kinda want to do a wall mount to free up space but then i would need “RGB” to really make it pop. thermaltake has some versatile cases that mount on the wall. the wife said it can’t be uggly so RGB everything i guess. lol

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.