Online Privacy Cleanup Guide Request

As someone who has grown up through the beginning of the internet age, I have, only now, realized now how flagrant I have been with my personal data and privacy.

Could the L1 crew or any community members provide any guides on cleaning up your online footprint?

I would like to shore my online identity and build new habits on maintaining my personal privacy amongst this apocalyptic, corporate surveillance landscape.

I will not delete my roblox account, that is non negotiable.

2 Likes

to be honest its gonna be a pain in the ass. :frowning:

you can request no tracking by google/microsoft/facebook by turning off all the personalisation features in the account settings.
as to how effective that is, is any ones guess.

if your in the 5 eyes jurisdiction everything you type into your computer search goes somewhere and is stored for up to 18 months. so :frowning:

as for websites. you can pm the admins and ask them to remove any data attached to your account.
the results will be hit and miss, some will allow you to remove your data yourself.
but others will flat out refuse unless its a legal request.
(i asked toms hardware to remove all my posted content and was told it would happen, but then told it cant be removed. it can but they wont because, 1 i was so prolific (10000+ replies so to much work apparently) and 2 no legal requirement.
so my replies are still on there site.

if you shop online do not store your bank card details in the set payments option of your shopping accounts.
yeah i know typing it in every time is a pain.
but this way if your account gets hacked the most they get is your order history.

as for the rest of the internet… check all your emails for sites you may have joined, sign in and delete disable them accounts remembering to untie them from other email accounts that you use for password retrieval. then abandon them.

after thats all done, get a vpn, add adblocking/noscript/https only to your browsers
change your dns to a public one rather than your isp’s.
and take your privacy back.

i would add switch to a linux distro but microsoft are slowly infecting linux with tracking also.
as are nvidia and amd.

so yeah you can try, but its a losing battle atm. :frowning: (which is sad because thats not what the internet was supposed to be).

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums! Nice name BTW.

The best resource that I have is to listen to my favorite privacy podcast the The Privacy, Security, and OSINT Show. It is a US centric show but you can probably extrapolate some of the stuff in your home country if you are outside. If you want a more reading approach vs listening, I would suggest www.privacyguides.org (previously privacytools.io).

What I have experienced is privacy is best taken in baby steps:

1. First of all, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Your desire for privacy is a continuous process that doesnt really end just because you switched service providers and gadgets.

2. Second, sign up for more privacy oriented services (see privacyguides recommendation).

3. Third, try to deactivate/delete all your Big Data accounts while in Windows. I find that companies get too suspicious if you access you accounts suddenly from Linux.

4. On the actual deleting of stuff I used to use
    https://justdeleteme.xyz/ as a guide on how easy/hard it is to actually delete stuff

5. Get a new phone and flash a better ROM in it, preferrably a recent Google Pixel phone (4A-5G, 5, 5A) and flash a Graphene OS to it. Alternatively you can see if your current phone is supported in https://download.lineageos.org/. The best of the worst is Apple. you can probably stay there a bit longer but the preference is Graphene OS first, then Lineage.

6. Switch to Linux there are “flavors” called distribution (distro for short). My personal recommendation is Manjaro (pick either:

• KDE, the “Windows 7/10-like”
    • GNOME , the “MacOS-like”
    • XFCE, the “Windows XP-like”

Alternatively Ubuntu (has flavors above and more) and Pop!_OS (GNOME only) are also good choices.

7. Get a proper pfSense firewall cheaply with either a Protectli or a PC Engines APU2

8. Have a homelab and try to self-host your own services at home. Such as your own Nextcloud instance. This requires extensive continuing knowledge.

9. The above mentioned podcast has a lot of other things to do. Removing yourself from people search engines and the like.

9 Likes

I would check out a company named Puri.sm
Get yourself a Librem mini for home compute/server needs or a Librem 14 for mobile needs.

I would start with the hardware first, then organize your compartmenalization for Internet use. IE Pirvate life, Socail life, Work related, Business, etc . . .

Then I would install and configure appropiate utilities to aid in your privacy and security. This being in part with hardware selection as well as operating system, and any software, extensions, custom network or firewall, vpn, proxy etc . . .

No sense, imo, in using any of these methods or tools in Windows, or on a system with Intel ME or AMD PSP for that matter. I think PopOs is acceptable for daily use linux os, can be Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, as long as its not Windows. Encrypt your OS and Storage Drives. Using Tails would help you, teach you about compartments, Tor is useful if configured correctly.

Avoid social media sites like Facebook, TikTok, Twitter, Myspace, Instagram, Google, Youtube, etc. Research Lifelog and spend a while searching and reading on this, I think its quite revealing and interesting to learn about. Also helps to learn more about Edward Snowden, Thomas Drake, and those alike who have come forward with revelations that may be concerning. You want to learn about what the Gov is capable of, and catch up on basic Internet use security. Start educating yourself about the programs these three letter agencies are using, creating, . . . the more you read into the material and learn the lingo, the quicker you learn and can adapt to protect yourself.

2 Likes

I know this is a late reply and I second everything @regulareel said but would like to mention a bit more in case it helps anyone else.
Michael Bazzell, who runs The Privacy, Security, and OSINT Show (cannot recommend this enough) also has books you can buy, namely his Extreme Privacy reference books that are outstanding and can take you from where you are now to extremes that very few can or will do.

I do not recommend deleting any emails but just stop using older ones for now and catalog all of your accounts you can into a password manager or a spreadsheet in an encrypted container. Then you can self-audit and begin working through what you need and don’t need and what’s worth deleting and what isn’t. The aforementioned book and podcast each mention the context to consider with accounts but it’s a process so when in doubt, just change the login information to something secure and unique and visit it later.

This is a very personal endeavor where you do a bunch of research then add the things you like to your toolbelt as you go.

Another great resource if you like podcast/video format is Techlore on Youtube and Odysee.
For convenience here’s their (Youtube) Go Incognito playlist (URL removed as I’m too new) that is all about the journey of digital privacy starting with the first step.

Privacy is a very personal thing and you need to find what level of privacy you’re after and then strive to reach and maintain it your way. Fortunately there are many communities and tools to help go as far as you need.

Personally, I would recommend not jumping straight to “delete me” services that will scour people search websites. They will never get everything and it’s better you know how to handle that as they’re relentless in repopulating data or rebranding overnight.

General personal digital privacy recommendations

• Use FOSS as much as possible
  • Avoid telemetry
  • Use a trusted VPN provider
  • Consider everything submitted to an online form to be public info
    • Even if not true in the moment, 1 leak is all it takes
  • Use a FOSS password manager (I like KeepassXC)
  • Backup an encrypted catalog of your digital life!
    • Avoid eggs in one basket
    • eg have a local veracrypt container of keepass files, personal notes, important documents, etc periodically backed up and stored off site
  • Use a non-standard mobile ROM
    • LineageOS, GrapheneOS, and CalyxOS are all popular and active
  • Use a local email client and download all emails
    • Thunderbird is popular but there are many others
  • Misinformation and disinformation are friends
  • Social media is all there to effectively spy on you, don’t use it
  • Use end-to-end encrypted chat/services as much as possible
    • I think many find the hurdle here is getting friends and family to move
3 Likes

I think @regulareel gave some fantastic advice! I’d like to add one more resource into the mix.
https://inteltechniques.com/links.html
Here you will find a free worksheet to help keep track of requests for removing your personal information from people search engines and many other privacy tools and suggestions.

3 Likes