Online Payments no longer accepted for older browsers

Screwfix (UK online retailer) recently added a banner for their product page that says older browsers & android versions will no longer be able to accept payments online, i tried looking for more info but my bad googling skills are really showing.

Anyone else got more info on the topic?

For reference: screwfix(dot)com/p/erbauer-er2100-2100w-1-2-electric-router-220-240v/535fx

1 Like

Which exact topic are you looking for more info on? The sec aspect of deprecated software or the fact that a website decided to protect themselves and their users by nudging them to update?

I mean it is a pretty standard practice to discontinue support for older software.
Security is outdated and there’s holes-a-plenty.

Edit to add: Chrome 57 released almost 6 years ago. If your browser is that out of date, I’d urge you to update as well.

4 Likes

I agree, you should upgrade your web browser, but dissalowing online payments because of it? First I’ve heard that anywhere, and since the banner mentioned it was standard practice, im wondering if there was an actual news story about it, or press release, something

2 Likes

… then you are probably furyjackman?

2 Likes

… or the web developers of the world are united in not caring about you. :yay:

1 Like

It could be the payment people (globalsign) require TLS 1.2 or some such, and that mandates a minimum level of browser?

1 Like

Probably something like that, yeah.

1 Like

If there is any actual logic.
Looking at the TLS/SSL chart, it does not tie up to the listed version, so probably not Actually that…

1 Like

It takes a while to formally deprecate TLS versions since they’re used all over the world.

(Ninja edit)

TLS 1.0 and 1.1 have been formally deprecated by IETF, but I don’t think TLS 1.2 has been. It’s just a matter of time though.

2 Likes

This is admirable and a good thing for everyone. Stop being on old unsupported software. This also probably to avoid liability issues.

2 Likes

I might agree if this a case of black-listing browsers of type _ older than version _. However, I can quite easily imagine this being implemented as a white-list of version and browser type.

A requirement to use specific browsers is too restrictive, has the potential to further reduce what little browser competition we still have, and is just bad web design.

1 Like