OnePlus Nord N10 - A Pleasent Upgrade From An Ancient Flagship

So recently I needed a new phone. And a new service provider.

Guys IDK wtf happened at ting but whatever the fuck you do don’t use zoom on data for more than a half hour or they start data stuffing you hard core. Drove my bill up to 100 bucks.

So that numbers dead till I can pay that dumb shit off.

So the other night I went to Tmobile and looked at what they had. For where I am going to live, Tmobile is a good choice. For in michigan it’s fine, and for where I am I have a 5G connection even.

Anyways I looked at phones for a bit and was surprised to find they carried oneplus devices in stores. I remember when they were online order only, and rly thats the last thing I know about oneplus.

So looking at the devices, I had a choice between the Nord N10, iphone se2, Nord N100, Galaxy A51 and A71, and an lg stylo6 if I wanted to be in pain.

Obviously I went with the N10 since you’re reading this.

Cool device, anyways. Came out in October last year and manages to crush my old LG V20.

As a quick thing, this device is replacing an old Flagship phone. So I pretty much am the candidate for this thing, at least according to reviewers. I have to say… I’m impressed.

Comparing Devices

Unfortunately I can’t find an image of the V20 with it’s specs, but basically the V20 was the last good as hell 4g device. It had a removable back with a changeable battery and open air lime/sd combo slot, and contacts on the back to add another battery or a wireless charging unit.

When I got my V20 it was a year old and being dropped from sale, so it was about 280 bucks. It’s selling point to me was it’s camera and changeable battery. And the camera is actually amazing on that device. I kinda wish I kept it, but I’ll get a rooted one later.

Pretty damn good for a 2016 phone at the start of the dual sensor craze.

The one minus is it’s held back to android 8 and cannot be rooted or even upgraded. No matter what you try, it’s just not possible. To get one with lineage one it you basically need to buy new old stock, or a pro-rated device.

On stock room my V20 lasted about 9-14 hours battery life with regular use during the day. With gps wifi but all off and everything, full charge. Not great.

But the DAC with spotify and the badass camera still made up for it. It even had a 2560x1600 oled display and a smaller display at the top for random controls! Legit a brilliant device.

It’s honestly too bad LG fucked up the rom. I’d still have it if I could root or revert to android 7.

However, getting the Nord was a Pleasent Upgrade. As one of my fave reviewers Dave2D mentioned with the first Nord, it’s pretty good all around if you are looking to upgrade from an old Flagship.

For 300 bucks you get 6 meh cores and 2 wtf cores (wtf meaning when it goes into game mode stuff like minecraft is OPEN NOW ETC), 6 gigs of ddr4 ram, a 4300mah battery, and a crap load of pretty ok cameras.

This is the first 4 camera phone I have used. It’s not terrible either, have a look.

It’s serviceable, but you could probably get better quality with just a firmware upgrade. The front camera is also pretty good, actually possibly better than the real cameras.

It’s pretty good, no?

Also comes with 128gb storage, and I have a 256gb sd card already, so no real storage limit for me.

The screen is also really nice. The res to screen ratio actually makes typing on it really nice. I was scared I’d have to fiddle with it like on my V20, which had horrible measurements to begin with. Nope. Just change keyboard layout, default size is whatever. There’s more than enough screen real estate. I can see everything I am working on.

My only real complaint is the back doesn’t come off. It’s not a waterproof device, so why not make the back come off so the battery is swappable? IDK minor complaint.

If you need a phone and you want standard specs, fuck pretty much everything above 500 bucks. And for 300 bucks, fuck everything else anyways because 6gb ram and 228gb of storage out of the box.

Really if that isn’t the major selling point up front, plus the 3 day lifetime idling in my pocket, yeah, pretty damn good phone. Blows my V20 out of the water immediately in spec and price to performance.

Bang for the buck, I’m impressed. Rootable out of the box, but I don’t really feel like I need to because there’s no bloat, pretty much. 2 Tmobile apps, and one extra thing I could simply just uninstall. And pretty much everything I asked for.

Bonus. 90hz screen.

Ye

Go get one nerd

1 Like

Small update post. I want to note the screen specifically.

I notice. Alot of ppl bash on the screen for not being a perfect edge to edge display like on flagships.

I’mma argue with those idiots.

Your favorite screen design is fuckin stupid.

If you have a screen be edge to edge perfect, you then have to put in antitouch code for the edge errors your display is going to pick up from your hands. The Nord has a bezel on the edge, yes, but it’s just big enough to not need stupid design code. At most turn on accidental touch detection and you’re good. And that doesn’t even do anything while the phone is on.

If you have to write code to exclude touches because aesthetic, you’re fuckin stupid.

I’m also noticing that this bezel lines up the buttons for my hands. My V20 was both too thin and too thick at the same time somehow, and my hands would cramp up typing on it. Display width in general isn’t much different, purely it was the dimensions of the phone.

No wonder lg is going out of business like Jesus fucking christ dude.