OnePlus 6 VS LG G7

Yeah that is what decided it for me, a supported stock android like experience, I don’t want to flash again- Lineage was great, but camera firmware suffers.

I’m loving the AOSP’ness of OxygenOS. There are a few things I crave, most could probably be fixed with skins and apps, but I’m happy enough to not really go out of my way to look into it any further. AOSP (or AOSP’ness) FTW.

On the third update from OP already- well done OP. And just read the OP6 will have ARCore support, can see Ikea stuff in the room before I buy it haha.

1 Like

@kush Updated the G3, reset it and it’s back in service replacing a family member’s $54 when brand new LG Stylo that only had 8gig storage. The Stylo probably had plenty of life left but 8gig is not even enough for the bloatwhere + junk buildup.

Checking out a non-root method to dump the bloatware off of the Stylo and it should be a good backup phone. Maybe there is even a lineage build haha.

1 Like

@kush uhhhg… so next day and the LG G3 got the screen flicker/fade out issue. Some googling later and its probably due to me twisting the hell out of the phone to get it in and out of a heavy duty case I gave it for it’s new role. It wasn’t good for the solder so I put the heat gun to the soc and also the folded paper trick on the connector by the camera- its back up and running. Its becoming a point of pride to keep the G3 going hahaha.

1 Like

I think you’ve already made up your mind by choosing the one plus 6 right? Couldn’t see the comments above unfortunately. LG used to be really good I cannot argue there but for now OnePlus is doing wonders.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry haha- Went with the OP6 and like it a lot- a big part is the Android AOSP feel and of course hardware.

Now I update the thread on what must feel like being an automotive mechanic keeping an old beat up car going, but with my old LG G3 (now used by a family member). IMO its the IBM/Lenovo of phones- its very modular and easy to work on.

Not sure how a mod feels, but maybe I should start a different thread on tips, tricks and tribulations of keeping a 5 year old phone alive.

Is OnePlus still data mining their customers? http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/oneplus-data-3305337

Not the kind of OS I’d want on my phone. Now putting LineageOS or a custom ROM on it might be feasible.

I’m going crazy because I can’t find it, but I swear @catsay (or was it some other security SME here?) posted a nice blurb on what they do to their phone to monitor what may be pre-loaded in similar fashion to your posted article.

LineageOS even takes in data but a) you can opt out and b) probably less than what was mentioned in the article.

If one goes from OxygenOS to LineageOS, its not a big leap at least, both are very AOSP like. And I’m assuming oneplus rooting, twrp, roms etc is far more documented than many other phones. I’m trying to root and put twrp on an LG Stylo but getting cold feet I’m going to brick it- the documentation is not very assuring.

The LG G3 heat gun fix didn’t stick- will do it again with more heat- but for stability reasons I bought the moms a Moto g6 play. The snapdragon 450 is a hint laggy, one of the first things I did was enable developer options and put animation to .5. Kind of wish it had nfc as well, but overall seems like great bang for the buck.

Unlocked G7 went down to $300 something for Prime Day, but I’m still happy I went with OnePlus (IMO will age better).

Just got the OnePlus 5.1.9 update- camera does seem to be better, and I’m stoked the OEM messaging app now supports SMS (lots of backlash on the forums and rightfully so), so now my dark theme is more complete (the Google messaging app I used in place of the OEM OnePlus does not have a dark theme). Update also came with the recent security patches.

The G7 has a smaller battery than the V30 iirc. V30 also got another security update just a few days ago, seems theyre bumping the updates up a bit.