My LG G3 might be showing it’s age- I’ve done the SOC heat compound mod and ditched the OE ROM long ago to CM then LineageOS. The SnapDragon 801 isn’t that great for encryption (really saps performance and makes updates a huge hassle), no fingerprint sensor = I have to tap the phone once to NFC pay, unlock pattern, then tap again, and on that note pattern and pin unlock is way too easy to shoulder surf. IMO the phone has a lot more life left in it, but from a physical security aspect its a mess (software side Lineage is crazy fast on updates). So I’m looking to get a new phone and being an LG fan I’m on the fence on two phones, and want to think out loud here and get opinions:
Oneplus 6 VS LG G7
Notch (sigh), SnapDragon 845, USB C, headphone jack (crucial), IMO price- the LG will have a higher MSRP, but I’m pretty certain it’s sales will suck and it’s price will be in the same ballpark as the OnePlus. Maybe the cameras are on somewhat common ground? Record at 4K 60FPS, various slow motion options.
OnePlus 6 pros over the LG:
- 6 or even 8 gigs of RAM option, should make speed and future proofing strong here.
- OxygenOS- a big pro over the LG, I like ASOP or close to ASOP ROMs- a big weight on this one.
- If I don’t like OxygenOS, they have healthy ROM support
- Designated silence nob
- Dash charging
- I suppose overall customer satisfaction, LG seems to have a divide.
- I would say notch, but the G7 has one too
- I would say 1080p screen, but I’ve seen 1080p screens that look fantastic
- Went glass back without wireless charging
LG G7 pros over the OnePlus:
- Wireless charging (making the glass back more worth it than with the OnePlus- in OnePlus’ defense one review said they went glass back to future proof the phone for 1gig wireless, but I’m not a big fan of early adopting, it never seems to pan out).
- I’ve had a good experience with LG hardware, not so much with Samsung hence its not even an option (plus their UI, nasty).
- Boombox? I don’t see myself using it/caring for it, so low weight on this one.
- Wide angle camera (meh- I’d spring for optical zoom)
- designated google assistant button, I can see myself warming up to this- here is to hoping it becomes mappable in the future.
- Not just keeping the earphone jack, but a great DAC
- Good waterproof and shock rating
- double tap screen to wake, double tap top of screen to sleep- have loved this feature on the LG and find it hard to imagine not having it. Maybe a 3rd party app does just as well? Does OxygenOS have this option?
- LG skin
- LG’s HORRIBLE update track record- though they announced a designated update department (not the first a company says this and doesn’t deliver though…)
- Even if good ROM support, I don’t want to go that route on a phone that won’t have proprietary camera firmware available, the camera always suffers if using generic.
- Earpiece offset (MrMobile’s review brings this up)
- 4 Gig of RAM seems behind the curve- here is to hoping larger memory options will be available in the states.
- AI element seems like a gimic
I’m pretty sold on the OnePlus, but with the G7 a few weeks away, I will be binging on reviews. Now that I’ve typed it out, I can see the cons for the G7 are pretty big and heavy- I guess a piece of me is rooting for LG and I’ve really REALLY wanted wireless charging, but I’ll be so pissed if I end up with a phone that doesn’t get security updates, yet alone OS version updates or for that matter bogs down due to OE skin.