OnePlus 5 HD streaming problems fix: Send in the device

So that’s a thing apparently. Seriously WTF? I have a 3t and glad this does not effect me, but my faith in OP has basically been lost at this point with everything that has been happening lately. So much so in fact, that once I get a chance in my busy life, I will be flashing to Lineage OS without question. Sadly though, I don’t feel like this kind of thing, whatever this thing is that is happening, is necessarily limited to OnePlus. The Galaxy S9 just got announced today, and I legit am impressed with what they show their AI can do. Translation? Logging food for health? All these things are things that I can literally see real world benefit from in my own life, and almost makes me want one…

But then there is that trust issue. I don’t trust Samsung (or anyone else that this point) that these things work the way they say it should, nor will it work well 8 months down the road. History tells me that in less than a year, something is going to start acting up, and because the device is so proprietary in nearly every way it can be, my options to fix anything is thrown out the window.

Here I am, a hardcore tech fanatic, who ever since they were a kid would order small gadgets just to play around with them. As a kid, simple things like calculators fascinated me! Then iPaqs came out, and I worked a summer job to get one along with a laptop. I got my first smartphone as soon as I could (Blackberry 8330!). I got a job at Verizon just so I could be around this tech more and play with it as much as possible! I am now going back to school to be a Computer Engineer because I want to be more involved with the creation of computing. I have an obsession with computing, and especially mobile technology.

Here I am, 2018, a tech-obsessed geek who just broke 2 phones this past month through a series of unfortunate events, and there is literally not a single smartphone on the market that I actually am excited about, nor can I recommend to anyone. My 3t has tape over the crack at the bottom, waiting for Lineage OS to be installed and I seriously can not seem to justify spending my money on anything that is currently out there. Samsung, LG, Motorola, Google, Apple, OnePlus (!!!), Huawei, HTC, Nokia, Xiaomi, Blackberry even…none of them make the phone I want, and it both makes me more passionate about pursuing my career, and also exceedingly sad.

Before buying a phone, the primary thing I look for is LineageOS support. Which Netflix HD doesn’t work on, doesn’t bother me.

I’m curious about this streaming issue.
My first thought is bandwidth. 1080 takes > 3mbps which 802.11n hardly covers best case scenario. 4g technically can IF you can get a good signal in a non congested area. And who still believes mobile carriers don’t throttle streaming services.
Second, this appears to be a software (DRM) problem, YouTube plays HD just fine on any device (including 4k).

I hope you get to a place in your career where you can make a difference…Good luck!

Thanks, but even if I don’t get a “dream job”, I think I’ll find ways to do something, even if it is small, seemingly insignificant, and non profitable, it will be something.

1 Like

I was surprised the Galaxy S9/S9+ pricing to be reasonable given the known increase in BOM, not in the market as my 6 still works but the S9+ looks to be a pretty decent piece should by phone crap out. I was looking at OnePlus but gaffaw after gaffaw after gaffaw steers me away.