OnePlus 3 - Two Year Review!

Wife and I both have an OP3 with LineageOs, no probs.

Edit: I did have to use the stock camera apk so I could use slow mo recording.

1 Like

Will look into freedomos. Guess stock + removed crap is best.

1 Like

Howā€™s your battery life doing? Iā€™m starting to notice a slight reduction, but itā€™s probably got another year in it before I have to try and crack it open.

Pretty good with constant usage (no games)

1 Like

Hmm, welpā€¦ my battery usage details isnā€™t available, doing a fair bit of browsing, SMS and phone calls gives me an estimated 15 hours from 100%.

Iā€™ve always low key wanted a OnePlus phone but stuck with nexus devices. With the recent death of my N6p I have really considered switching since no more nexus line. Whats your opinion of the OP6? Iā€™m on project fi but I might just deal with being TMO only so I dont have to get a pixel 2 or the other flagshit phones they are bringing on soon.

If I were in the market right now and donā€™t need wireless charging or an SD card, Iā€™d probably buy the op6. Its just so much less expensive than the others. Gone are the days of the $300 smartphone, but One Plus is damn close.

1 Like

I mean, none of the nexus line I used ever had SD. I usually only keep a handful of apps and some music on my phone. Iā€™m currently using my N5 waiting for a battery for the N6p. I think its probably hooped but for $15 I thought I would give it a shot. The N5 was my favorite phone but its dogshit slow on any modern version of android.

I mainly just want something root friendly and the OP line seems to fit the bill.

1 Like

Root looks pretty simple on the OP6.

EDIT: found a better guide

looks pretty much identical to manually rooting the nexus line. Sweet. I wonder why no manufacturer has tailored to the root/custom rom audience with a phone thats already done up ootb. It does indeed look like OnePlus is as close to the nexus line as I can get though.

Three reasons:

1. Itā€™s a small audience
  2. Itā€™s insecure by design, but thatā€™s a risk weā€™re willing to take
  3. Google (or more likely, Alphabet) puts pressure against manufacturers doing things like this. They want Android to be known as the most secure mobile OS, and rooting a device severely undermines itā€™s security.
1 Like

I disagree with #1. The sheer size of XDA alone is enough proof for me and not everyone thats rooting is on there, but I suppose youā€™re right about the rest.

1 Like

Iā€™d be interested to see numbers on how many Android phones are rooted vs how many are sold.

I understand that XDA is not ā€œsmallā€ in terms of communities, but when you think about the number of people who buy phones, itā€™s probably a relatively small percentage.