One key not working on a MS Ergonomic 4000 keyboard and so I wondered

If anyone knows if it possible for me to make some sort of macro or whatever to make the dash / underscore symbol by pressing say a function key on the keyboard I’d appreciate your help with this. Btw I have version 1 of this keyboard with the latest drivers available for it for Windows 7 64 bit and I also installed the MS Mouse and Keyboard Center too. I also did look at videos and write ups related to this keyboard and I am not at the point where I want to take this thing apart. I had hoped I could just pop out the key that was not working and clean it and around it but I saw nothing mentioning one could do that with this keyboard. Anyway help is appreciated.

Auto hot key will do that. A bit over kill though.

I really need my dash / underscore key as many accounts I have required a different than normal character. It would take me ages to get everything changed for accounts and I am not just talking about the passwords for them but the actual emails associated with them. It would be a royal pain in the arse to do right now. Also me actually learning to do something is good. I can’t remember the last time I was able to learn something new or at least try to learn something new. Heck in dealing with this I ended up looking at my Logitech software and seeing how one could setup gaming macros for my G300 and I kind of had the shoulders slump because I wish I could learn to use a gaming mouse for what it truly is intended to be used for.

Update:

Very scared because I saw that I am learning to write scripts, I am doing the tutorial now. : S

1 Like

Yeah there may be a better/lighter weight solution. Autohotkey can do some pretty impressive stuff. Though I don’t use it, so I cannot help unfortunately. Just knew it could do what you want, even if overkill for the task.

A little tear in my eye as maybe this keyboard issue will get me into serious learning again. I just completed that script properly and out of my mouth came the word “Cool!” : )

Script kiddie in the making? LOL!

Update: I got Control::_ to work as a script but I could not get Control to go back to acting as it normally would. I tried also to assign _ to Right Control only but what was shown to me thinking it would work did not as both Control keys created _

Update #2: I just remapped it to my 7th mouse button using the scripting program and everything is fine. Now someday maybe I will find a better way to do things including taking the keyboard apart and repairing it but for now this totally works as I don’t use the gaming buttons ever anyway, This here using the 7th mouse button will actually could prepare me to use them for gaming related stuff in the future and so hey I got to say this was a productive, educational experience.

Update #3: Spoke too soon as now it is not just showing underscore where I want but is posting the whole script. : S

1 Like

repairing a keyboard is possible but usually not economical.
they are not that expensive to replace.
consider the cost of a new keyboard compared to the cost you may incur trying to mess around with it
remapping keys does work but you lose the functionality of the chosen remapped key.
i keep spare keyboards where i can get them quickly (usb does not require shutdown to change)
but you can play around and try to repair your keyboard if you want to that is your choice.

It is a cool keyboard and not my main so yeah I was just trying anything I could grasp to fix the issue.