Once again I am struggling to get a headset to work and it may cost me work in the future. (Update: I got it working but really need to figure out how to set it up again in the future if it fails on me.)

Webcam with a mic? Interesting. Do you use it for streaming? I had wanted to get into that but have dragged my feet in getting to it. This solution sounds like a quick way to do it. Also with the webcam I assume it has an option to use the mic only? If not I’d have no interest. What brand do you have and what other brands are there?

Well, a solution that doesn’t work is by definition not a solution, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

That option is called tape. :wink:

I used to as well. I have a logitech G35 USB headset that has served me well. Being that its a USB interface, its a much nicer option for your use but they are old now and likely too expensive to justify. I moved to the setup im telling you about and prefer it over anything else. You have to try it to really understand why its so much better. Audio quality is better across the board and can cost the same or less than a similar “all in one” solution. Hell even Aremis’s option is better than the “gaming headset”. Then theres the mod mic, which im not a fan of but hey suit yourself.

An adjustable boom can be had for fairly cheap as well. I use this one and it keeps the mic out of my face and off my desk.

Teah completely. i just have a logitech, nothing fancy. You can find my yt channel pretty easy thru my havkintosh a macintosh post. The video there has that mic. I just use OBS, sometimes audacity.

Well tonight my son said one thing that reminded me of why the headset is still in our household …

When he saw it hooked up and used it he loved it. LOL! : ) It has that gamer’s look to it which is why it was bought in the first place and when I purchased it well it sure as hell wasn’t even close to the original price. Also getting my son to use a headset more often for gaming and doing other things on console and pc has been a struggle at times for years but now I got him used to it and I want to keep it that way so if he wants to make use of this headset well great.

However …

I did share with him though what was shared on here and so yeah we are open to using different things for sure. I can say certainly yeah lighter would be better but when I started this thread I was just trying to make sure that in regards to what I have I can make sure I can quickly set it up again in the future. On that note I think after searching threw a few pc boxes and tool boxes I found the adapter that is needed to allow me to switch between 5.1 surround speakers and the headset. I am hoping for now I can get this working. I just really want to learn to use what I have quickly. Again though I am hearing loud and clear simpler and better options. I thank you for them and when the money situation gets a little better I will look at various things mentioned. I do know though that I am always a bargain hunter and unless I can get things at a discounted affordable price I will stick with what I have. Btw I liked the idea of the webcam / mic because well I don’t have a webcam that is good enough for these days and I want to add my ugly mug to streaming someday.

Well at 3:10 am or so in the morning I decide to take my first shot at having my 5.1 speakers and the headset hooked up and got it done in the first try. Thrilled to death to be able to just leave things the way they are for good til the speakers or headset breaks. : ) Now to make sure over the coming days to write down and even diagram all I did in case I move this all to another system. Anyway again thrilled to death to get the final part done in one try. Strange though that for my 5.1s I always have to set it to 7.1s to get it to work properly. Anyway again so happy. So so happy.

Correction I love sound.

1 Like

Happy for you too. A little tip for lazy people like me. DRIVER BOOSTER (by IOBIT) has a little trouble shooting program for audio that my wife has found to be of tremendous help when she loses audio between dual boots. To be fair, I watched her use it and find and fix audio problems faster than I would have by trying to fix the problem manually. Just putting it out there. Wishing you many happy hours of pleasurable listening! :slight_smile: