Onboard audio output volume and windows stereo mixer

I have a X570 Taichi and use the onboard realtek audio to power a 2.1 speaker system. Here’s where the problem comes in: the output from the computer audio is way too loud. I have the volume knob on my speakers set to ~20%, and my Windows system volume to ~10%. I’ve lived with this for years on this system and a few previous systems with realtek audio.

However, I recently wanted to use PyAudio to analyze some audio signals from my speaker output stream. I enabled the stereo mixer on windows to get a “what you hear” input stream. But I need to increase the Windows speaker volume to 100% to have the signal strong enough for stereo mixer, otherwise it’s too weak. So now I can’t listen to my speakers (speaker-breaking loud) and analyze the audio signal at the same time.

Is there a way to adjust the “gain” of the onboard audio output? Or is there a better way to loop-back the audio signal into an input? Something on linux? Or do I need to buy high-impedance headphones?

A passive preamp could solve your problem.
The cheapest “non-shit-tier” one would be the Schiit Sys or the JBL Nano Patch+

1 Like

Maybe something like VB-Cable? Or any other virtual audio device really. Output on that, get the input from the corresponding input-device. Monitor the input to your physical speakers and adjust the volume there. That lets you have the full volume on the input, while still being able to adjust the output volume.

Fostex PC-1e. Cheaper and does the knob … job.

I wanted to follow up on this thread. I ordered the JBL Nano Patch+, and that works great for my application. I can adjust the volume down enough to set at 100% on the computer.

While I was waiting for delivery I used pulse audio on linux, a virtual audio device that also worked well. I want to operate on windows for now, so I will continue with the first solution.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like