Older CPU prices

Can someone explain to me why are older generation core i7s, like the 6700 (K) and 7700 (K) still selling for more than $200 ? In the [current year] when we got 6 cores i5s, like the 9400 selling for $200, 6 cores with SMT Ryzen 5 1600 for $120 and quad-core with SMT and iGPU Ryzen 5 2400G for $125?

These prices are ridiculous ! I’m looking to upgrade my CPU, I got a MSI B250M Pro VH motherboard, so I can only buy a 6th or 7th gen CPU. I’m not interested in OC, all I want is a quad-core with HT. Why are these older CPUs still so expensive?

I’m so frustrated that I went with Pentium G4560 + GT1030 instead of a Ryzen 3 2200G when it just launched. The Intel + nVidia route was cheaper, but it came to bite me really hard. This Pentium is pretty much all I need - but that’s if I’m running only 1 OS. But when I’m running Windows 10 in KVM under Manjaro with the 1030 passed to it, it feels choppy (I only passed 2 cores to it and I didn’t do CPU pinning).

Did any of you had a situation when it was better to buy a whole new PC than to just upgrade your CPU? And again, how does one explain the prices of the i7 6700(K) and 7700(K) ?

2 Likes

In the scale of intel, these aren’t going to depreciate any time soon. Many OEM’s still ship them as it is, but past that they just aren’t that old and are just as useful now as they were on release. For sure the 6700HQ in my laptop can stream way better than anything I have and still hit over 100 FPS in games. So I mean, /shrug?

Then buy anything else?

Intel makes their money based on inflating their prices. They’re the apple of processor companies. I don’t know what else to say.

The other thing you should pay attention to is what has ECC support, because thats another 100bucks and a waste, and then you need to factor in what they consider to be ‘workstation quality features’ such as avx2, avx512, pretty much avx at all, I think qsync is in that list, and a few other retarded features that I’m not even sure colleges use.

Oh also HT costs another 60 bucks because 4 cores is obv enough.

(btw, I could care less because most of my machines are single core)
e: (honestly yalls be whinin about getting 8 cores to be standard when you barely use 3 )

1 Like

I didn’t expect much of a reply, but I mean, it’s literally cheaper to just buy a Ryzen 5 2400G for $125 and a B350 board for $70 than to buy a 6700 non-K CPU alone !

I’m sure that would explain prices. There is still a demand for them.

Unfortunately, sometimes people charge what they feel something is worth. There are people selling laptop motherboards for like $50-100 less then just rebuying the laptop. They are also selling old laptop mobos from 2016 with 7200us for like $500-$600. That’s crazy.

Some people also make PCs on eBay with the amd fx series and selling the for lots of money.

1 Like

You also are comparing something that could only be compared to… is there an 8100? And thats at best. Like overclocked and shit.

X99 I think is the last spec out rn. 4000 series just dropped like fucking crazy in price in my area and all the hubs are just dumping them. Bunch of 4770 workstations at a recycle place I stopped by the other day.

2 Likes

An i3 8100 loses to the R5 2400G in many workloads. Sure, the 8100 is around 10% better in single-threaded applications, but with 2x the threads, it has a much better value. And the 2400G is around 5% slower in all tasks vs the i7 6700, almost twice the price for the i7 is not justified.

1 Like

The top end of any CPU line tends to keep it’s value the best as it’s what everyone wants for an easy quick upgrade.

Also noting that a i7 6700k OC’ed will be 15-20% faster than a i5 9400 in all tasks that don’t utilize all the cores. IE all but the most recent of games.

1 Like

I mentioned the i7s just as an example. Core i5s are still as expensive. The i5 6400 is $194 on newegg. On amazon it’s $179. A Ryzen 5 2600 is $134. I said, it’s cheaper to buy a better Ryzen + motherboard than an older gen i5 or i7 alone (not the 2600, but on a deal, it could be achieved cheaper than an i5).

I still don’t see why an older gen CPU is still almost as expensive as launch price. The release price for a 6400 was $187. $179 is a mere 8 bucks cheaper. Going Intel in order to upgrade later is a bad move. I regret not buying a Ryzen when I had the opportunity. I won’t say I won’t buy Intel ever again, but it left me with a very sour taste in my mouth (and also left me very salty).

Could look at it as a supply/demand thing or retailers not wanting to sell below costs.

The demand for these CPUs is definitely lower. If it was a simple supply and demand curve, that would be easy. But keep in mind the retailers are using precious storage space for these CPUs, which adds costs. They should be trying to get rid of them, but instead they just store them on the shelves. Retailers not wanting to sell below costs might be an explanation, but if so, then it means that big giants like Amazon and Newegg are managed by literal r*tards, which I doubt this is the case. And I’m not living in the US, but prices are pretty similar in my country.

This happened after I bought a new motherboard for my Phenom x3
“oh look for 20 bucks more I could have had an FX8320E and get a free MB with it”
Totally felt like a moron
Now seeing 2nd gen ryzen with 70 to 100 buck off sales to make room for the 3rd gen

1 Like

As much as I avoid saying this, Intel dropping socket support between series due to power factors of newer CPUs is enough reason to just hop to AMD’s AM4. I’m sure AM4+ is likely going to be PCIe 5.0 unless Ryzen requires more power–considering early Ryzen 1 boards could handle a Ryzen 3700, it’ll be interesting how long some boards will support newer CPUs.

Older CPUs can hold a fair premium on the unlocked(K-versions), Sky/Kabylake hasn’t gone down mostly as “refurbishers/off-lease” tend to part out systems if the board is bad and the CPU checks as ok. There is also the factor of 6600K & 6700K actually OC-ed better than Kabylake on later CPU batches vs Kaby i5 7600K/7700K only OC-ed well with the IGP disabled, if I remember there wasn’t much interest once Ryzen launched and Intel quickly pushed the 8th gen out. 6600K can easily OC to 5Ghz and the 6700K usually averages 4.8Ghz.

Typically the trend of older hardware parts dropping in price varies, boxed retail CPUs are re-priced based on “current trends” and since most companies use AI/bots to price items you could end up with crazy increase/decrease trends(ex: there was a book reseller on Amazon and a certain book kept going up or dropping a few cents–there was a news article about this).

AI might be another good explanation why prices for older CPUs stay high. Usually retailers in other countries base their prices on Amazon offerings (at least this is what it seems like in my country) - except for things that don’t sell in US, UK and DE, those thing tend to drop pretty low in price (things that only sell in central and eastern Europe, India and south-east Asia). But as I mentioned, not just the K variants, but the normal non-K variants of the same CPU and even lower tier CPUs like i5s x500 / x400 are still priced waaaay to expensive, pretty much nobody is going to buy them.

I’m trying to fill my curiosity as to why the prices for them aren’t falling (and to get a good deal, even second hand, they are still very high, even though these guys know their performance isn’t worth the cost, they just price them high because the only alternative is buying them at launch prices). Unfortunately for me, I can’t find companies selling their old server stuff, I will be trying to benchmark a quad-core Core2 Xeon with 32 GB of RAM server from my work (these things use more energy than they’re worth it), but I think even my dual core with HT Pentium will outperform it.