Old vs. New (Samsung 830 & PNY CS1311)

So I have an old Samsung 830 SSD as my OS drive and as it turns out I now have basically an unused PNY CS1311 240GB drive on my hands. I was curious if the PNY drive would be much of an upgrade over the 830. The 830 has been in daily use for at least 5 years so I’m getting a little antsy about its longevity, seeing how it’s my main drive. So do you guys think it’d be a sensible upgrade or would I be better off selling the PNY drive?

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-830-256GB-vs-PNY-CS2211-480GB/1387vs3630

Don’t know of the capacity of the 830. I know that that made a difference ins performance of the controllers back in the day

Edit
Here is the correct link
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-830-256GB-vs-PNY-CS1311-240GB/1387vs3615

Different from the others from what I understand. I have about 8 of the 120gig versions that have performed fine with no weirdness or performance loss as of yet.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10234/the-pny-cs1311-and-cs2211-ssd-review-mlc-vs-tlc-at-15nm

I do have a bias as my purchasing of 8 CS1311 120gig drives for 40 dollars a piece has been decent experience so far.

To the Op… I would keep it and use it.

Does not relate to the topic at hand. You threw out some random benchmark of the wrong product.

@thevillageidiot
I selected the wrong SSD in the benchmark honest mistake.
You still could have selected the correct SSD in the drop down if you bothered. The site is a benchmark site, not something that I pulled out of my ass. I hope your day is going well.

Link has been corrected.

1 Like

I was not trying to jerk… just pointing that out. I often lean towards getting as many benchmarks as possible when comparing different products.

The internet makes it really hard to judge tone. Honest mistake.
Either way, you have more experience with these drives than I do so I think you will better point OP in the right direction.

From my perspective the pny is a decent entry level ssd that is slightly better than other entry level ssd from say adata ect… The win is price to performance but the longevity metric remains to be seen as the pny/sc1311 is only a couple of years old.

Small variations in benchmarking means very little in real world use and may only be noticed by benchmarking.

I personally use these for my all my different linux distros and for entry-level gaming machines when splitting a 100 dollar budget between ssd and hdd. Pny 1311 120gb and 1tb Wd blue 7200rpm 64 cache.

The drives are 256gb and 240gb variants. So yeah, I’m leaning towards using the PNY drive. It should have more mileage left on it than the 830, so there’s something to be said for peace of mind alone, and it could offer some (theoretical, if nothing else) performance benefits as well. Cheers!

If you look at the smart data it should tell you how much has been written to the drive.
Using samsungs software you may get more detailed information, I only remember recently checking a sandisk with its dashboard software, showed the predicted life remaining, and how much data had been written over its life time, even tracks the amount read. I gave the thing a beating and it still had over 60% life left so you’d be surprised at how long these things can last. I’ve looked at others taken from a friends laptop, had a tiny fraction of what I did to mine, but the power cycles were much higher of course. You don’t know how much faith you can put into it until you check.